Fuel pump hotwire problem

SlickTR

Helping a buddy out with what started as a no start problem with his 87 GN. I found the problem is the racetronix hotwire, I unplug the hotwire relay and hook the pump wiring back up like stock and it fires up just fine. I figured it was the relay, now here is what I can't figure out. I swapped my hotwire relay that works just fine and the car still wouldn't start, the relay doesn't click at all. So the best I can figure out is the relay isn't getting a 12v ignition signal. Don't even know where to start, I hate wiring issues lol, any help with what to check and where too look as far as the wiring will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a fuse on the power wire after the alternator? Check the wire front to back for any breaks or cuts

If a known good relay does not click and the power to the relay would run the fuel pump when the hot wire kit is bypassed, I would say there might be a grounding problem or a bad relay socket.

take a volt meter or test light from the gray wire to ground have someone turn the key on and make sure you are getting 12v from the signal wire it will just be momentary like 3 seconds.I bet the ground side is the problem

Well I got the volt tester out and over to his car, long story short, everything seemed fine so I plugged the hotwire back up and presto fuel pump kicked on. Guess it must be some intermittent issue. We'll see if it happens again