Fuel pump for E85, yes I read the long post

Yeah. I run a 14awg wire from an ignition source with an inline fuse in it to my relay, then the relay gets 10awg power from the alternator, and 10awg ground to the battery. Kinsler Fuel Injection has a great wiring diagram for how to properly wire up a fuel pump. That's what I went by.

Yeah. I run a 14awg wire from an ignition source with an inline fuse in it to my relay, then the relay gets 10awg power from the alternator, and 10awg ground to the battery. Kinsler Fuel Injection has a great wiring diagram for how to properly wire up a fuel pump. That's what I went by.
Ive looked for it on their site....couldnt find it

I love this discussion and that you guys ARE getting it! Like I have been saying, don't cut corners on the fuel system when you are building a turbocharged spark-ignition engine. ESPECIALLY if you are running E85 because it brings serious challenges due to the increased flow rates!!! Be careful. Bad things can happen under boost if there is not sufficient fuel. Thank you.
Conrad

ps....I feel all of your pain because we all want a simple solution to a "good, capable, cheap" fuel system for E85. Trouble is, all of our cars are different, so one size doesn't (won't) fit all. It just won't happen. So, you MUST get involved in understanding the capabilities and limitations of your fuel system! Truth be known, many of you will eventually go to an external fuel pump because you can stuff only so much pump through that hole in the fuel tank! Besides, it is noce to be able to service your pump (and pre-filter) w/o dropping the tank!!!

I love this discussion and that you guys ARE getting it! Like I have been saying, don't cut corners on the fuel system when you are building a turbocharged spark-ignition engine. ESPECIALLY if you are running E85 because it brings serious challenges due to the increased flow rates!!! Be careful. Bad things can happen under boost if there is not sufficient fuel. Thank you.
Conrad

ps....I feel all of your pain because we all want a simple solution to a "good, capable, cheap" fuel system for E85. Trouble is, all of our cars are different, so one size doesn't (won't) fit all. It just won't happen. So, you MUST get involved in understanding the capabilities and limitations of your fuel system! Truth be known, many of you will eventually go to an external fuel pump because you can stuff only so much pump through that hole in the fuel tank! Besides, it is noce to be able to service your pump (and pre-filter) w/o dropping the tank!!!
It may take a while...but us young bucks will learn and carry the torch one day :p

I read on the web that to calculate fuel pump needs, use horsepower x 0.47 (for forced induction engines). That comes to 475 x 0.47 = 223 lph. I assume that means the minimum lph. So if I choose to run 25 psi with a base of 45-ish fuel pressure, my pump needs to provide 223 lph @ 70 psi. Is this correct?

No, for FI engines it is common to use .55-.65 for EFI gasoline engines. Since E85 needs more fuel, the BSFC is even higher. 475 x.85(bsfc) =403lbs/hr

Ok, I calculated the BSFC for my needs at 0.90 so I was above your number which is better IMO. Your calculation would be 403 for injector sizing yes but divided by 6 injectors = 67 lb/hr per injector. My real concern is the pump flow at 70 psi boost. That is where I got the .47 was the HP conversion to pump flow. That is the real question.

Your bsfc doesn't change.. think about it, why would you need less fuel flow when you are making the most power (ie-at max pressure), so how would .47BSFC at max boost make sense?

How much boost are you running to be concerned about fuel pump flow at 70 psi? Seems to me that you should be minimizing pressure drop in your fuel system so that you don't need 70 psi. That is why I recommend going overboard on fuel rails, supply/return lines, fuel filters, great voltage to the pump, and a great fuel pump controller. It makes life easier for the pump and we want it ready and able to deliver the goods when needed. Just my 2 cents.
Conrad

Rather excited today. Dropped my tank this weekend, drained it completely, removed all the undercoating (easy, just have a gallon of kerosene and keep soaking and wiping, it melts it but makes a mess on the ground so find a ditch to work over), repainted it and the straps with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Paint, and my DW301 should be here tomorrow. Yay. Going to change the rubber line sections to multi-fuel compatible and that should be a good starting point.

How much boost are you running to be concerned about fuel pump flow at 70 psi? Seems to me that you should be minimizing pressure drop in your fuel system so that you don't need 70 psi. That is why I recommend going overboard on fuel rails, supply/return lines, fuel filters, great voltage to the pump, and a great fuel pump controller. It makes life easier for the pump and we want it ready and able to deliver the goods when needed. Just my 2 cents.
Conrad

So, so true.

Instead of putting a band-aid on the problem, eliminate it altogether.

Clearly he needs -12 feed with -10 return :p

My plan is to use the parts decided upon by the person paying for them. In this case that would be me. Unless you're all feeling generous. :D

do you guys know if i were to buy either the racetronix 386lph or the new e85 pump will i have to run a bigger return line?