fuel pump/ cut out

grnadnasty84

Cold Air 84
I have a 84 GN that i bought with a hotwire kit for the fuel pump. well, long story short, i had to replace the pump a while back and put a regular fuel pump back into it, no $. anyways, the car has been cutting out at low rpm's, and sometimes just dies at a stop lights and the like. well, i turned the fuel pressure up and it seems to have helped a bit but it still has not stopped. also, the pump is now whining very loud and i'm afraid it will give out soon. am i suppose to take the name "hot wire kit" literally, because the red wires coming out of the gas tank going into the relay back there seem to be very hot, almost too hot to touch, almost. could these hot wires be causing the problem? any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

I have a 84 GN that i bought with a hotwire kit for the fuel pump. well, long story short, i had to replace the pump a while back and put a regular fuel pump back into it, no $. anyways, the car has been cutting out at low rpm's, and sometimes just dies at a stop lights and the like. well, i turned the fuel pressure up and it seems to have helped a bit but it still has not stopped. also, the pump is now whining very loud and i'm afraid it will give out soon. am i suppose to take the name "hot wire kit" literally, because the red wires coming out of the gas tank going into the relay back there seem to be very hot, almost too hot to touch, almost. could these hot wires be causing the problem? any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
You have a restriction somewhere in the line. The pump amperage is maxed because of the pump trying to feed the engine full time at low loads. Could and most likely is a return line restriction. The wires shouldnt be hot.

so you think i should start by replacing my return line or is there another way to find the problem area before i get into the actual lines. sorry, i'm not too familiar with fuel lines, and it will take me a minute to find the return line. thanks for the help- btw

so you think i should start by replacing my return line or is there another way to find the problem area before i get into the actual lines. sorry, i'm not too familiar with fuel lines, and it will take me a minute to find the return line. thanks for the help- btw

Id try disconnecting it at the rail and tank and blowing compressed air through it before i replaced it. Usually you will have very high pressures at idle if the return is badly blocked. Id check both lines out.