Fuel pressure falls immediately after priming the system.....

Tom87GN

YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!!!!
I rarely put my external mechanical fuel pressure gauge up on the hood any more, but for some reason, something told me to do it a few days ago. I noticed after driving the car around - to church and back - that the fuel pressure was not holding after I shut down the engine. I watched the pressure drop on the gauge from around 38 psi to 20 psi in about 5 seconds, then it dropped to dead zero in about 5 more seconds.

From past experiences, I know that it can be either of these three things:

1. Leaking injector (s)
2. Bad fuel pump
3. Bad fuel pressure regulator

I have tested the FP regulator and it seems to be doing it's job, and it's in the middle of the system and shouldn't be able to bleed off the pressure like that, if I'm thinking correctly.

I plan to drop the tank tomorrow and take a look at the pump assembly and see if there is anything visibly wrong there.

Does anyone here know of other things I should be looking at or did I cover them all? Thanks in advance for any responses......I know this type of question has probably been beaten to death over the years on this site...:)

Isolate the problem. Put a clamp on the feed line after you shut the car off, it it leaks down it could be a injector, if it doesnt the one-way check valve in the pump could be bad. To check the injectors you can clamp both feed and return lines and isolate the rail. The reg could be bad if its hung open somehow.

Huh? I have 2 brand new pumps and mine does the same thing , I was told that is normal . My pressure falls off right away.