Fuel line

87bigcut

What do I need to run for fuel line in my 87 cutlass that I am swapping a GN motor into? Could I replace all the stock rubber line with higher pressure line and heavy duty clamps or do I need to up the size? I will be running an alky kit eventually and a walbro 340 pump. If I had to up the feed size could I use the stock feed line as the return line for the GN motor? What size are the stock GN lines?

Thanks,
Joe

Someone said you have to loosen the body bolts to get the lines out is that true? There are no GN's around here to pirate. Any idea on using any of my stock lines?

Thanks,
joe

You can use the vent line from the charcoal cannister. Possibly the feed for the return line. I was researching all of this too and when I was done it was easier for me to just run braided lines all the way back. I kept the vent line but all else was replaced with -8 and -6. I picked up adapters from John Butler (J.B.'s Powder Coating, e-mail johns87gn@aol.com).
John is a great guy and will help out alot.

The adapters I got were for the fuel regualtor return line to AN fitting and the fuel rail feed line to AN fitting. Later I picked up adapters from him to fit the tank lines to the AN fittings.

If I did it again I would probably just sump the tank. I already had the GN tank and pump though so I just went that route.

As for the rubber fuel line, I wouldn't chance anything with fuel.

Your Cutlass should have the same size feed, and it should also come out in the same spot in the front. My NA Regal did. The vent line can be used. The feed line can be used. I cut into it where the Trurbo Regals have the fuel filter, and I added two repair fittings that I got at an auto parts store, and added the filter. At the front, get another one of these repair lines, and add that to the fuel line. You will have to add the return line. Your Cutlass won't have this. You can just buy another repair section, and run your own, or you should be able to find the whole line from one of your favorite Buick vendors that stocks them. Some even have them in stainless. My return line was pulled from a Turbo Regal. I removed the line from the front all the way to where it moves to the top of the frame near the rear end. I just built my own section for this part, and used compression fittings on it. Another thing you can do for the feed line is to get the one from the fuel filter to the engine, and just patch in a fitting for the other side of the filter. Less splices that way.

Your Cutlass should have the same size feed, and it should also come out in the same spot in the front. My NA Regal did. The vent line can be used. The feed line can be used. I cut into it where the Trurbo Regals have the fuel filter, and I added two repair fittings that I got at an auto parts store, and added the filter. At the front, get another one of these repair lines, and add that to the fuel line. You will have to add the return line. Your Cutlass won't have this. You can just buy another repair section, and run your own, or you should be able to find the whole line from one of your favorite Buick vendors that stocks them. Some even have them in stainless. My return line was pulled from a Turbo Regal. I removed the line from the front all the way to where it moves to the top of the frame near the rear end. I just built my own section for this part, and used compression fittings on it. Another thing you can do for the feed line is to get the one from the fuel filter to the engine, and just patch in a fitting for the other side of the filter. Less splices that way.

Brian

I have three lines running the length of my car. Did you have that also, would that indicate that I have a return line?

Thanks,
joe

Mine only had two. I didn't have the return line. It was on an 82 Regal. Some of the later Regals and Cutlass did have a return line, even on the carbed cars. Yours must be one of them. On the turbo Regals, the return line comes up the passenger side of the car, and crosses over to the driver's side under the engine. You should have three lines there. The return line, the vent line, and a brake line. I'm guessing this is what you would have since you should have the Buick 3.8, and the fuel pump will be on the driver's side, so that is where the fuel return line will have to hook up to. Is your charcoal canister on the driver's side behind the headlights, also? If so, then you'll just have to make a few minor adjustments to your lines in order to put the turbo motor in.

Brian

You should be able to run the car with whats there, my first 87 GN powered car was an 83 Regal and I got it to start and run with what was there. It was in 1989 so I dont remember all the details , but what I dont remember I can make up in parts,lol, Got to much GN Parts Lol.

P.S You need Minimum of a feed and a return line. Regardless of what the line was originally made for. The reason I say this is because I used a vapor line for a return line the first time around. May not be the best but back then, there was No One to ask, Period!

Sure. You want me to send you the wheel up launch, or maybe the one that shows the wrinkle in the whitewall on launch?

Sure. You want me to send you the wheel up launch, or maybe the one that shows the wrinkle in the whitewall on launch?

Brian
P.S. The wheel up launch was not done on the whitewalls. Just so that people don't think I'm a big fat liar.