Fuel Leak Near Fuel Filter

darkryd

I have a lot of fuel leaking at the fuel filter (driver side door). It only leaks when the car is on.

Photo 2015-07-16, 10 08 30 PM.jpg

A few things I have done recently to eliminate a leak near the tank:
- New Fuel Tank
- New Sending Unit and Fuel Inj Hose
- New Holley Pump 12-900

I talked to the shop that did the above repairs. They said there is an o-ring that may be compromised in the fuel filter. They looked up the part and because it needs to be screwed in they said that the fuel filter should be fixed at their shop because the lines feeding the fuel filter are under pressure and it could be a messy job. As well, they said that the lines to and from the filter may be compromised and may need to be checked as well.

A few questions:
1. Should I attempt to change the fuel filter myself? I'm capable but not sure if I have all the right tools. I've never dealt with spraying gas before and I'd like to limit the mess as much as possible
2. Are there any tips/tricks? For example, is there a way to release the pressure? Do I need to drain the entire tank?
3. Any recommendations on other items to be changed given the above? Seems as though my entire fuel delivery system has started to fail.

I'm from Canada and have stored the car in heated storage. However, I've been told if the car sits, condensation forms in/on the lines which erodes over time.

Thanks

Attachments

• Photo 2015-07-16, 10 08 30 PM.jpg
    Photo 2015-07-16, 10 08 30 PM.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 504
  • Photo 2015-07-16, 10 08 35 PM.jpg
    Photo 2015-07-16, 10 08 35 PM.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
1- those lines should be double clamped , pump runs at 37-45 but at boost its 42 plus the boost ,,too much for a single clamp and that fitting hose section should have a double flared end to prevent blow off of the hose
2 shouldnt be that much rubber in the fuel feed , any more than 12in in the entire system is too much the line should be replaced
3-that fitting into the filter should be a section of hose with a saginaw crimp at the end that goes into filter. that saginaw crimp requires an O-ring to seal , if they used a 3/8 inv flare thats so wrong i wont get into it how bad it is

what you have would be ok as a get you home temporary fix but it needs to be done right

the fuel line is two peices , one from above axle to filter then other from filter to front of frame by engine
the new lines can be purchased from inline tube or classic tube

ps
i wouldnt worry about the system having pressure ..looks like its leaking enough to drop the pressure in a short time after the key is off

Last edited:
if they used a saginaw repair end it would have the oring and shouldnt be the source of the leak

Get a new Dorman repair fitting with the O ring, and a new proper length of fuel injection rated hose.

Unbolt that repair, but first, find a bolt that goes into 3/8 hose snugly and cap off the existing rubber line when you take the clamp off it and then plug it with the bolt, if it drips drop it into a can while you work on the fuel filter area.

Get the new fitting properly into the fuel filter, never seize around the threads not near the O ring, and a dab where the OD of the metal line is supposed to rotate smoothly within the flare nut, that's where the rust locks the metal line to the nut and it twists off and breaks.

Put the new length of hose double clamped on the new Dorman repair fitting and get it ready to go into the other end with double clamps.

Pop off the old hose and quickly slide the new one on there and you shouldn't get too wet. :p

When using the repair fittings make sure there's no swaged down area on it, if so cut it off the end and clean it up with a file/ de-burr it, both ID and OD, and wash the filings off.

Get a decent set of flare nut wrenches to work on these cars in both metric and SAE threads.

It's easy enough to do even in the winter. :oops::rolleyes:

Kirban sells a nice stainless steel bracket to replace your rusty one that wraps around the filter.