Fuel Filter Fuel Line Damage...

Sal 87WE2

--NONE--
The previous owner damaged the fuel line going into the fuel filter from the fuel tank. It is damaged at the very end where the o-ring slips on and screws into the fuel filter, half is there and half is damaged. The o-ring is barely holding on but i am not sure how long before it starts to leak...

How difficult is it to replace this line? I have dropped the tank before so i know where the 3 lines are hose clamped but i am not sure what all needs to be removed (if anything) if i have to replace that section of the metal line going fro the tank to the fuel filter.

Thanks in advance,
Sal

You can get a repair section for the line if you want to do it that way Sal. AZ sells them in the help section. As far as replacing the complete line you'll need to lift the body off the frame.

You can get a repair section for the line if you want to do it that way Sal. AZ sells them in the help section. As far as replacing the complete line you'll need to lift the body off the frame.

:eek:

Thanks Charlie, do you have a MTM/Dorman Part number handy? I was at Advance yesterday looking for a repair kit and didnt see anything...

What size is that line? Mine has a slight kink before the filter and thinking about replacing it.

All i know is i used a 16mm wrench on the nut. I will know (maybe) tomorrow what size the line is for sure after i replace it ;)

The pressure line is a 3/8". 5/16" is only from the regulator down to the frame, (which is a one piece deal with the rubber hose at the frame) which then necks down to 1/4" The return line from the tank to the front frame is 1/4". The entire pressure line is 3/8" In and out of the filter is 3/8". The sending unit has a small 1" section that is rolled down to 5/16" where it plugs into the pulsator/dampner pump interface.

Buy a decent bender to bend the lines to fit into the filter. THe repair kit has a brass compression fitting for the end that you cut. Works fine.

Here is a decednt bender for the price: JEGS Precision Tubing Benders - JEGS

This is the one I've had for over 10 years now. I did have to do a slight modification to it though. The joint on the main body pulled out so I threaded it for a 3/8" 16 TPI bolt and put a nut on it so it wouldn't break loose again.

Tubing Bender

AutoZone has that tube bender as a Loan-A-Tool were you pay a deposit which is for this tool $20.00 plus tax and when you return the tool you get all your money back.

This would be the best way unless you have a need to own one. :smile:

The one that AZ rents is a one piece unit and doesn't work that well. Buy one that's jointed and the bends will be better as well as being to tell what angle you bent them at.

That one's not a loan a tool. It's a sale item. The loan a tool is one size and has no moving parts.

That one's not a loan a tool. It's a sale item. The loan a tool is one size and has no moving parts.

I hate to burst your bubble but that is a loaner tool.

I wouldn't post something that i didn't verify first and if you look at the header at the top of the page of the link i posted it says loaner tool.

I plan on doing some tubing work so i did call them also to verify and they have 2 tube bending tools that they have to loan out this one and another one but i didn't ask about it.

Don't take my word for it call them yourself, that way you can get it straight from them about what tool they have to loan you. Just like the tool it won't cost you a thing to do it.:smile:

I hate to burst your bubble but that is a loaner tool.

I wouldn't post something that i didn't verify first and if you look at the header at the top of the page of the link i posted it says loaner tool.

I plan on doing some tubing work so i did call them also to verify and they have 2 tube bending tools that they have to loan out this one and another one but i didn't ask about it.

Don't take my word for it call them yourself, that way you can get it straight from them about what tool they have to loan you. Just like the tool it won't cost you a thing to do it.:smile:

Um, if that's the case then my 1.5 years of working there and quiting in January don't mean anything. We didn't have that tool so my guess is that it doesn't go into every store. On top of that, it's not listed in the store manual as a loan a tool. I was one of the management staff btw.:biggrin:

Um, if that's the case then my 1.5 years of working there and quiting in January don't mean anything. We didn't have that tool so my guess is that it doesn't go into every store. On top of that, it's not listed in the store manual as a loan a tool. I was one of the management staff btw.:biggrin:

My only purpose for posting about the loan a tool is to let the op know that he doesn't have to buy a tube bending tool to do the job with and will most likely never have to use again. Why own a specialty tool when you can rent it,use it then return it and get all your money back.

It's your money spend it the way you like.

As for me i know where to get what i need when i have something to do.

I have been retired for 10 years now and i have never worked at AZ and i have no idea how they run their loan a tool program, what this has to do with the tools i don't know but neither does prior experience working there.

:smile:

Why not just buy it, so all your freinds can use it an NEVER return it!;) Anytime I start a project that needs a special tool, it's like Christmas for me.......I get a new present! Sorry honey, we have to eat Mac and Cheeze for the next week, I HAD to buy a new tool to do a job.:eek: ("And then she hit me your honor");)

Checked the loan a tool one for my local autozone, its the one piece as Charlie stated.