Front Speaker Solutions...

Vigor 87GN

I installed pioneer 3 1/2 (i beleive thats the size) speakers in the dash about two years ago. Some how i managed to blow out the right one. And it sounds like junk.

Im looking for an affordable replacement ($15-$50) that will clear everything. And sound decent, must be able to handle 45watts.

What do you suggest?

45 watts of what - head unit power or amplifier power. If it's head unit power - it's not 45 watts. Every head unit I've ever seen can only truly put out around 15 - 20 watts. What may have contributed to the dimise of your 3 1/2 is distortion. I would get the Infinity Kappa's and put a cap on them to eliminate bass frequencies. This is the only 3 1/2 I've ever seen last longer than a few years. Mine are still going strong after 3 years and I have a real 50 watt HiFonics amp running them. It gets very loud. The key is to control the type of signal the amp sees (no bass) and make sure it's a clean signal.

This is going through head unit, 45Watts, and i beleive what you say that the speakers only see about 15-20 watts of power...
However i currently have my second amp bridged to power the 6x9's. And would problably unbridge it and hook it up to the front speakers as well. I also have bass blockers on the front speakers, so i will reuse them.

I love the kappas but they are bit to pricey for me. Im looking for something affordable, yet decent.

Thanks for any help!

I just ordered the Kappas from Crutchfield and plan to drive them with a Punch 100 a2 and crossed over by an Audio Control 3XS crossover. Should work very well. They are only $69.00 from www.crutchfield.com

I just ordered the Kappas from Crutchfield and plan to drive them with a Punch 100 a2 and crossed over by an Audio Control 3XS crossover. Should work very well.

That will work very well. Great speakers with a super clean signal and plenty of clean power. You will like the way it sounds.

Honestly, if you just want cheap decent sound........I say get the 20 dollar Sony 3.5s from Best Buy and put bass blockers on them. Did that on my old Regal, with a decent set of 6x9s, works for me........and they have less of a chance of blowing out because there is no low frequencys going through them.

Originally posted by Tim Cucci
How was the Kappa speaker fit under the dash plate?

Tim

Tim,

I'll let you know in the next few days as I haven't installed them yet. To everyone: What do you use to get to the phillips head screws for the 3.5's that are up against the windshield? The look impossible to access.

To fit the Kappas under the dash plate you need to bend the 2 mounting tabs up. This will force the speaker to sit a little lower and the plate will fit.
To get at the screws you need a angle bit driver. Or just use a phillips bit and a 1/4" closed end wrench. A 1/4" ratchet wrench is the best. The bit fits right inside the wrench. A little black tape to secure the bit to the wrench and wala a poor man's angle bit driver. Plus it can get into tighter spots than a real angle bit driver can.

I usually always recommend Polk stuff, (use all their stuff in my home theater) but I don't care for the whizzer type cone of those drivers. Get an honest 2-way. I bought the Infinity Kappa series, although they don't like to fit under the dash pad/cover thing. :)They do sound awesome however.

I heard of those Polk EX's and they sounded decent, but I don't know about those foam surround.

I picked up a pair of Rockford Fosgate 3.5" a couple weeks ago.
$50 for the pair. They are superior!

They don't fit well with the dashboard though (too tall) so I'm working on a solution.

timothydog,

Was that the RF FRC2203s? FRC Series speakers? I was leaning toward them but if they are too tall will steer clear. Infinity Kappas or Polks I suppose I'll get.

Polk EX...

I had those in my car when I first started messing with the stereo. They sound pretty good for a dual cone. The surround held up really nice. I still have them around somewhere, and I think they are a great speaker for a 3.5".
I took those out and installed Boston pro audio 3.5"s and they flat out kicked butt. Great sounding speaker.
After that, I put in Q forms and put the Bostons in there until I could get a set of seperates and they still sounded great. Even though I had my McIntosh amp (100x2) pushing them, with a xover of course.
Now I have Kappa 5.25" in Q forms and the sound is awesome.
Dont discount the Polks. They were a great speaker for me.

Just an FYI, the Infinity Kappas do NOT fit well under the panel, as advised. I have the tabs bent, but they still are too tall. I'll be working on a solution. I have a pic of them installed on my webpage, just go to the stereo link and go from there.

Mike,
You're Kappas look just like my Rockford Fosgates.

How well does that 6x9 - 4x10 kit work?
I'm not happy with 4x10's at all.. they suck.

Originally posted by timothydog
Mike,
You're Kappas look just like my Rockford Fosgates.

How well does that 6x9 - 4x10 kit work?
I'm not happy with 4x10's at all.. they suck.

The adapters themselves are great. Great fit and they fit up into the car fine. The bracketry that comes with them SUCK!!:mad: I used META brand, so you may wanna shop around for another brand. The brackets that came with mine look like bent coat hanger wire and were waaay too short to fit properly without bending the crap out of them. Poor design. When bent, they would "work", but they looked cheesy:D See what else is out there. Best of luck,

Just an FYI, the Infinity Kappas do NOT fit well under the panel, as advised. I have the tabs bent, but they still are too tall. I'll be working on a solution. I have a pic of them installed on my webpage, just go to the stereo link and go from there.
They will fit, it just takes a little work. I've put a few pairs in. Just bend the tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers. You have to bend them in 2 places.