Front Seal Leaking after replacement

Nocooler

Had a Hotair
Okay guys - I feel pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, but this is really starting to get to me.

I bought a 1986 T-type with 90+k on it and decided it was time to do the Valve Springs, Timing Chain and while I was in there put a high volume pump in it.

Everything went smooth until I lowered the car and fired it up. Then the oil came pouring out - not a drip, a pint at a time! So I checked it out and it appeared to be the front seal. No biggie - I took it back apart and replaced the seal (2nd time) and guess what it leaks but not as bad - still enough to make the car undriveable. Third times a charm right? So I do it one last time - get it back together and 15sec after firing it up I have about 1 quart of valvoline on the concrete :eek:. I can't get this thing right.

I am using Felpro part # TCS 45930 (kit) - I assume this is correct?

The Pump was set up with the 60psi spring and holds there @ cold idle.

I see no visual cracks in the front cover.....

The first time the seal looked good but there was melted rubber on the balancer. The 2nd time I lubed the balancer with grease and when I tore it apart the spring had came off. I have yet to tear it apart this time. I am tapping the seal in with a piece of PVC that fits the OD - I have done hundreds of seals this way and none have leak (or I should say this bad :)).

Short of buying a new cover (which I may do) does anyone have any suggestions. I'm dying here I have my alky kit ready to install and want to try my new 9/11.

Thanks
Jeremy

Sounds like you've got some seal install issues to deal with.Don't know about the seal P/N,but the seal fit on the balancer should be satin smooth and clean.I assume that you have all the appropriate parts in place[slinger,etc.].
Here's how I was trained to install seals;
1.Make sure the seal fit on the metal hard part is clean and smooth.I would polish it with real fine paper and oil.You want the afore mentioned satin polished finish.I mean real fine satin.This allows the seal fit to carry a small amount of oil to lube the seal.
Clean the fit well after polishing.Be sure there is no varnish on the fit.I've seen fits that looked pooched turn out real well after you've removed the almost clear varnish.The seal will tolerate a small groove.I mean small.
2.Install the seal using a proper driver[sounds like you've got this covered].Be sure after the seal is installed that the tension spring is in it's proper place.
3.Generously lube the seal fit on the balancer with clean engine oil and carefully install the balancer.
Everything should work well if you do these steps.
Your first problem sounds like a dry seal or something on the seal fit grabbed the rubber seal lip and tore it up.
The second time sounds like the grease was stiff enough to grab the seal lip slightly, distorting the seal and causing the inner spring to pop off.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

The slingers in there.......I thought about crankcase pressure to, but the engine is tight (6% on the leak downs) and it leaks @ idle where the crankcase shouldn't be pressurized.

Thanks for the ideas........I tear into it tomorrow.

Jeremy

I went though the same problem. Is the seal on the front side of the cover or the back side?
My first replacement HV front cover had the seal on the front side. It leaked bad . I installed a read sleeve on the damper , But because the seal was on the front side of the cover the sleeve end right where the lip of the seal rode. So to solve this problen I got a "National ready sleeve" that could be postioned lower on the damper.

But after 200 mile it started leaking again. turns out the seal hole was machined .030" off center. I got a secound cover from Jack Cotton . And solved that problem.

Please note the ready sleeve if you are using one.