Front end shake

richburke03

Took the car on the highway for 2 trips since it was in storage and it is shaking in the front pretty bad, it did not do this last year. The front tires are MT with less than 500 miles on them. The rear tires are pretty old but have almost 90% tread.

I feel the shake in the whole front end, steering wheel and almost as if I can feel it in the gas pedal. Only starts at 50mph +

Where should I start?? Thanks.

Sometimes after sitting in one spot for a long time I've had tires develop flat spots. The more I would drive it the better it got. Recently I had a tire that I thought just had the flat spots get really bad and then blow. I think it got a bubble or the tread separated. I thought the transmission was going to fall out or the U joints were failing it shook so bad. I was going to pull into a parking lot and had slowed down a lot then it just blew. Maybe try jacking it up and spinning the tire by hand to see what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes after sitting in one spot for a long time I've had tires develop flat spots. The more I would drive it the better it got. Recently I had a tire that I thought just had the flat spots get really bad and then blow. I think it got a bubble or the tread separated. I thought the transmission was going to fall out or the U joints were failing it shook so bad. I was going to pull into a parking lot and had slowed down a lot then it just blew. Maybe try jacking it up and spinning the tire by hand to see what you have.

Was it a rear tire?

Mine was a front passenger side but I would check your rears too since you said they are old. I have tires that are too old on my car now. Like you I just hate to replace tires with 90% tread but I have to they are going to end costing me much more if I don't. They are stock size Eagle GT tires that look new but they give me zero traction.

Raise the front tire pressure to about 45psi. Take it for a test drive. If the shake is gone your tires are flat spotted

Here's a few suggestions:

1) Find an alignment / front end shop that uses "Hunters" Road Force Balancing Equipment.
Take your car in for a Road Force Balance on all 4 wheels. It's guaranteed to eliminate the wheels & tires from the equation.

2) Also, check your upper control arm bushings....they may be shot and need replacing.

3) Last suggestion, have your drive shaft checked for balance and be sure U joints are centred & seated properly in their yokes.

Last edited:
55ed1abb3039c91015831fce6d2c5905.jpg
08a7eb5b869d553ede07c75ee96b3046.jpg
ba8a5d3ac86a2a218832fc367a25dd9f.jpg

I second the Hunter Road Force. This is a GM essential tool so any GM dealer should have one. You can also locate the nearest by going to www.gsp9700.com Make sure the person doing it actually measures road force. Cant believe how many shops have $12k balancers and use them as regular balancers. Preferably get the detailed print out of each tire showing 1st, 2nd and 3rd harmonics. The initial number the machine shows is only the 1st harmonic. You have to go into the details page to show 2nd and 3rd. Only 1st harmonic vibrations have any chance of being corrected by indexing the high / stiff spot of the tire to the low spot in the wheel. 2nd and 3rd harmonics can only be fixed by replacing the tire or wheel whichever is the cause. The higher the order harmonic the less perceivable it is to the customer. 1st harmonic is 1 spot per rev, 2nd egg shaped, 3rd harmonic is triangle shaped, etc.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk