Front cover help in Houston area (Tomball)

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Any of you seasoned fellows want to help a TR noob do a front cover? I feel like I need to do the following before doing any serious performance mods to the car.

1) front cover / oil pan gasket / possibly rear main. I have oil leaks (surely around the front cover and oil pan, not sure about the rear main) and have had since I bought the car a little over a year ago. I would love to get rid of some of the oil leaks. I figured that while I was in there, I'd change out the original timing chain (at least I think it's original), as well as check the cam sensor and anything else that might need to be done. I will say that knowing the original owner only used Mobil 1 synthetic (and no ZDDP as far as I'm aware), and seeing some of the MPH's on my time slips, I'm starting to wonder if a cam isn't in my future as well. I don't THINK there's any way to telll if the cam lobes are worn without pulling the cam? If I've got the front cover off to do the timing set, I figured it would be a great time to check the cam for wear.

I have no idea what timing set to get. I have no idea if I should get a new front cover, or use the existing one. Any thoughts or opinions? I'd love to have one of you seriously seasoned TR guys help so I know I'm doing it right.

2) valve springs / valve cover gaskets. I'm pretty sure my gaskets are NOT leaking, but I have resolved myself to having to do the springs. I originally thought about doing this first as I'm pretty sure I can handle it with the right tool. However, I'd hate to do the springs first just to find out that my cam is worn and in need of replacement. Then I'd have to do them all over again if / when the cam was changed.

I'd eventually like to get WBO2, alky, powerlogger, & eventually get low 12's or high 11's, but before I do that I am POSITIVE I need to work the timing set.

Thoughts / opinions?

I know I could just run it down to G&G in Tomball & get all this done, but I'd like to take on some new challenges over and above regular maintenance stuff, brakes, gauges, and that kind of junk. Or is doing this kind of stuff yourself just overrated???

If you decide to come up for the power tour in Arlington I should be there and might be able to help. If Rich ^^^ is going he's in the same area so he may be able to help.:)

Unfortunately I won't be making tge power tour this year. It's extremely busy at work now and I'm going to be in and out of town throughout June. Any pointers you guys can give on exactly what i need to accomplish the front cover job would be a big help.

Thanks for the link to the colorful post by the illustrious earl brown. I can see where it will help. My main concerns are how I'll be able to tell whether i should do the cam or not, the rear main, and what parts to get.

I guess i need a mentor!!!!

Earls write up is all you should need to ge tthe cover done right. If you're talking about drilling the mains for more oil it's not recomemded and neither is a HV oil pump. Jerryl's in Houston along with a bunch of other guys. Slimtastic is another on you could PM. Both are great guys and if either's free I'm sure they'd be happpy to help you out.:)

Thanks Charlie - I keep a short list of board members in the Houston area, but I hate to ask any one of them point blank for help until I get to know any of them a little better. I figured I'd post up and see exactly how willing anyone would be to help.

I know it would do me good to join HBC, but I'm failing to find the time with work and family.

I was wondering about the necessity of rebuilding the pump. My main concern is the timing set and sealing the dad-burned thing up. The piece of plywood I have underneath my car on my garage floor will need changing soon!! :D

I could help you out. Im in Spring ,so real close and need to start worken on the side to pay for my Shop/storage on my we4 lol
Send me a pm
Brian

Thanks Charlie - I keep a short list of board members in the Houston area, but I hate to ask any one of them point blank for help until I get to know any of them a little better. I figured I'd post up and see exactly how willing anyone would be to help.

I know it would do me good to join HBC, but I'm failing to find the time with work and family.

I was wondering about the necessity of rebuilding the pump. My main concern is the timing set and sealing the dad-burned thing up. The piece of plywood I have underneath my car on my garage floor will need changing soon!! :D
I have a complete engine built by G & G in Tomball that I would make you a good deal on if this is an option. Champion iron heads, ported intake, 2 billet mains, TD roller rockers, and a new front cover.

Thanks for the respose, Brian. I need to get the parts together first. When i get ready to get moving on it, I'll give you a PM.

I have a complete engine built by G & G in Tomball that I would make you a good deal on if this is an option. Champion iron heads, ported intake, 2 billet mains, TD roller rockers, and a new front cover.

Interesting. I think my motor's fine, but I have day-dreamed of pulling the original and storing it for collectibility. Then getting another to mod. I ended up deciding that I'd wait until I wiped a lobe or blew a head gasket to do that, then go all out 100% top notch, first class and do a TA block or something by one of the "famous builders" on the board - Bell, Nick Micale, Don Cruz or somebody. Just daydreams I guess.

Send me a PM on it with more particulars, asking price, and maybe some pics!

Ok let me know-I can do all the cover mods and whatever- Ive had a few motors that leaked at the cover by the filter adapter so It happens.
Brian

Thanks for the respose, Brian. I need to get the parts together first. When i get ready to get moving on it, I'll give you a PM.

Interesting. I think my motor's fine, but I have day-dreamed of pulling the original and storing it for collectibility. Then getting another to mod. I ended up deciding that I'd wait until I wiped a lobe or blew a head gasket to do that, then go all out 100% top notch, first class and do a TA block or something by one of the "famous builders" on the board - Bell, Nick Micale, Don Cruz or somebody. Just daydreams I guess.

Send me a PM on it with more particulars, asking price, and maybe some pics!
Give me a call @281-399-2276

if you need help im also in spring texas as well(basicly 4 miles from brian)near 249 and louetta. it sounds like if your that concerned about all the possible different oil leaks, you should possibly pull the engine and just run through it(including a cam). but that just my .02

i mean your wanting the front cover done and the oil pan...just yank the motor, your back will thankyou. and the rear mains always leak (even off the showroom floor lol)

also i have about 10 bottles of that ZDDP at my house if your interested..i dont need them anymore

Thanks slim. I will take you up on the zddp. You must be really close to me. I'm 2 miles west of 249 on spring cypress. Id like to discuss with some smart people about doing some stuff along what you have suggested. Once i'm back in town i'll pm you guys. Maybe we can get together over a brew or two. I'd buy of course!!