Front cover -Girdle ?

onebadsix

I have a crack in the front cover, leaking coolant , needs replaced , can the cover be replaced with engine in the car with out removing the girdle??

Thanks
Randy

yes

If you have studs going through the pan into the front cover, they will have to be removed. Remove front cover, remove the 2 locating studs in block. New gaskets and sit cover back on then reinstall locating pins. This will align things back in place. Removing studs could be problem.

I've done it before. It is a BITCH with the locating pins still in the block. Trying to slide on the new cover without Fccing up the gasket is tricky. Good Luck!

I'm not sure why Lee would mention "IF" you have studs going through the pan into the front cover. There are three of them at the apex of the front of the girdle/pan.

If you had the whole bottom of the engine planed flat like mine, I think it will be a chore of trial fitting. Thats one thing that worries me about servicing my engine in the future

Thanks for the info , since the front cover is cracked , if it breaks getting it off , nothing lost , Scott i think what Lee is reffering to is the two pins that align the cover, some of those pins come out easily, some are a bitch , i think I may try heating them up to get them out , with the pins removed , the cover would go right into place , then install the pins , Turbo Jim , yes the pan rails were planed , the new cover also may have to be planed a little , the girdle as far as maintenace can be a pain

Thanks
Randy