front brakes not seeming up to par

89mulletbird

I just changed my front pads and bled the brakes with a vacuum but ever since I've had the car, the brakes pedal feels too solid and I don't get as much brake power as my regular Trans Am.

What would be the best method to test each caliper, maybe a piston on one side is bad?

I don't know how your pedal feels, but mine is very firm. They work awesome, but the pedal is hard. Do your brakes stop the car good or are you saying the pedal is hard?

JAson

it feels to pull to the right when i brake so i think something might be wrong with the left side caliper, but i'm not sure what to do to test it.

the brake stopping force is less than my regular Trans am

brake pedal

Hi,
My TTA seems to stop pretty well, and I like the pedal modulation. However, I can understand that some folks might not be totally satisfied with the braking. I have noticed moans and groans,especially during reverse braking, that don't give me too much confidence, if you know what I mean!
Regardless, I think our cars are excellent stoppers, fun vehicles to the end.What is your opinion?

My brakes seem to require more pressure than my other vehicles. I think there is less power assist. But they stop the car just fine.

I'm thinking that the piston might be bad on one side. I don't know how to test that however.

I've never followed the brake lines on the TTA, but I did have a problem like this on my old GN. The previous owner put Hooker Headers and a DP on the car (yuck). I never did have the engine "Strapped" down. I noticed some times that the brakes would pull to the left. I was sitting at a light one morning and the brake pedel slowly went all the way down to the floor, and then the car started moving :eek: What happened was the DP kept hitting the brake line that runs up the frame and it was pinching the line. Apparently when it was pulling, the DP was heating up the brake line putting gas bubbles in the line. But it finally pinched the line and busted it. I don't know if this is your problem, but I just thought I'd tell you about that.

My brakes on the TTA are great. The only complaint that I would have if I drove the car every day is the Vacuum Assist on a boosted car. I've found that if I'm accelerating with the slightest amount of boost and have to immediately apply the brakes, there is no power assist. It's like braking with the engine not running. It scared me the first time this happened, but now I've noticed that if I take my foot off the pedel for a very short time and reapply the brake, it will work fine.

That being said, vacuum assist compaired to the non vacuum assist on GN's is 100% better.

Just my $.02