Front brakes are "clunky"?

timothydog

For the past month or so I've noticed my front end has been a little "clunky." I ASSumed that I had some shot bushings somewhere in the front end. But today I finally realized that the "clunk" only happens when I hit my brakes.

Are my pads getting tossed around inside the calipers possibly?
Anybody have anything like this happen?

I put new pads in about 2 months ago. So this is starting to make sense to me.

Thanks.

I'm not convinced that they are tight.
I'll give them a look when I put my new front brake dust shields on.

What happens if they are not tight?
Thanks

Did you crimp the metal tab on the outside pad to hold it tight to the caliper? If not, that may be your noise.

When u hit the brakes, the calipers move and make noise ;)

How do the pads fit?, nice and snug? and did u put the little metal thingie :) back on the back of the pad?, that holds the pad in place.

Kevin

Ahh.. now that I think about it, I don't think I had a little metal thingy to put back on. I did the brakes amongst many other things like shocks and all new front tire-rods and upper/lower balljoints.

That was a fun day.

I had the same problem lotsa clunking, drove me nuts. Turns out it was the thingy thing. ;)

New rotors and pads done right and all is well, now I concentrate on thongs. :)

Don't forget to check the bushings and "O" rings that the caliper bolts go through. Once they get worn they can make some racket and drive you nuts trying to find the problem, sounds like something funny in the frontend that you can't quite put your finger on....

:cool: