Front Air Dam

What about remanufacturing the one Buick already made (now discontinued)...I'm talking about the on that came on the 82 GN!
This drawing really dosent give justice its a beautiful 3 piece design in plastic
If anyone has the Facts and figures book it has the parts book supplement w drawings and p/n

Attachments

• tsbgn.gif
    tsbgn.gif
    64 KB · Views: 470
love the feed back

Turbo Jimmy,
The designs we have currently completed are putting the bottom of the air dam 1 inch lower than the factory 86 and 87 split design spoiler. I thought about going a little lower but at this point I think one inch lower is perfect.

87 GTA turbo,
Thanks for the info, that is a great picture you posted. I like how the bottom of the spoiler kind of pooches out toward the front of the car at the bottom of the spoiler. I have to admit I am not very familiar with any of the other years of turbo Buicks, other than the 86 and 87 inter-cooled cars. I dug up my facts and figures book that Steve Dove wrote and on page 105 it shows a picture of a 1-piece design, I cannot find the three piece product in his book. I’ll look a little harder.

Powder,
I am going to take your proposal of putting some curvature into the bottom of the spoiler into serious consideration.

It appears every one likes the shipping cost of the three-piece design better.

Thanks everyone for your feed back keep it coming.

Sam

87gta-turbo said:
What about remanufacturing the one Buick already made (now discontinued)...I'm talking about the on that came on the 82 GN!
This drawing really dosent give justice its a beautiful 3 piece design in plastic
If anyone has the Facts and figures book it has the parts book supplement w drawings and p/n

you are right on page 146 it calls out the part numbers for it, but I can't find a good picture of the three piece dsign on a a car.

Our design will be a little different and one inch taller.

I will see if i can get one of the B4black guys that has good pictures.
I found this it gives a better view.

Attachments

• 82gn6.jpg
    82gn6.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 468
PaCemkr86 said:
are gonna start a waiting list for this ? do you take paypal etc...

to quote on of my favorite commercials.......

once we are ready we'll just open the front door and announce that it's for sale and then people will show up with dufflebags full of money offering us twice our asking pirce.

:)

Very Cool, great work Sam. ;)

I personally don't see the difference in the 1 piece vs 3 when they are snapped together, VOTE FOR 3 PIECE.

Rolled bottom would be cool but if it adds more to the cost than its probably not worth it unless you like to run over people at car shows. :eek:

Also DHL is way way cheaper than UPS.

What about cut outs for ram airing the brakes or radiator like this??

My paint shop lost my air damns and am out probably $100 on that one.

Attachments

• GN ram air for rad.jpg
    GN ram air for rad.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 288
  • GN ram air middle view of both.jpg
    GN ram air middle view of both.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 262
PaCemkr86 said:
any updates?

Should have a Quote Monday or Tuesday from the Plastics manufacturer. After that then we'll know more concrete price and time availability.

Thanks for the interest!!

Pat

Count me in. I wanted one for my 87 when I first bought it. I'm trying to make it look like an 85 anyway. :D

QKRNYRS said:
Should have a Quote Monday or Tuesday from the Plastics manufacturer. After that then we'll know more concrete price and time availability.

Thanks for the interest!!

Pat

Thanks, I'll hold off buying 86-87 air dam untill I hear from you.

Why you are at your drawing board, what are the possibibilies of designing a spoiler similar to what Kenne-Bell had years ago. With an extended intercooler scoop towards the front of the car for the stock IC crowd.

up to date info

Here is an update on where we are. We have all of the tooling cost quotes back from the plastic manufacturers we talked to. Currently we are still waiting on the actual piece part quote from one vendor (the vendor that will more than likely be making this part).

The cost for the tool that is required to mold the three-piece part is almost three times as much as the tool that would make the one-piece designed part. We are going to have to amortize the tooling cost into the selling price of this air dam. We are trying to make this thing fall into the price range you all suggested. Considering the tooling cost of the three-piece design this would be difficult. The increased cost of the part would be more than the money a person would save by having a 3-piece air dam shipped to them.

Patrick and I have always leaned toward the one-piece design for a few reasons, but never shared that opinion because we were so concerned about the shipping cost. In our opinion the one-piece part will be more cosmetically appealing than three-piece air dam. Also it will be stronger and fit better than the three-piece. One thing we are trying to do is design a part that will not fold under the car at high speeds. How ever it must bend and absorb curbs on impact. The one piece design will be harder to crack, because once it impacts a curb the energy will be transferred through out the entire front of the air dam. Our cars have the aero dynamics of a brick, and we want this air dam to with stand high speeds and not allow air to enter under the car. We are concerned that the middle section of the three-piece design would fold under the car.

I have redesigned the part. It is shown below. The lowest most forward edge of the air dam is swooped forward a little further than the rest of the air dam. This swooped out area will do two things. First it will help direct air from funneling under the car, and second it will act as a strengthening rib in the front face of the air dam and help keep it from folding back at high speeds.

Should everything go correctly this is the time frame lay out I perceive happening. We should get the piece part quotes by the middle of the first week of May (end of next week). At that point we will meet with the vendor (probably Friday May 5th) and essentially pull the trigger on this project. Once we pull the trigger, the vendor will put us into their tooling schedule. Currently they are 3 to 4 weeks out. Next the prototype tooling will be created and a prototype will be made out of some type of plastic they have in stock. This will all happen in the 3 to 4 week time period mentioned above. Patrick and I will review the prototype. After reviewing the prototype and everything looks good, it will take another 3 to 4 weeks to get the hard tooling ready to make the parts. Once hard tooling is ready, parts will start being produced. At this point everyone will be able to start getting them.

I appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm; we will keep posting our progress as we proceed with this project. Once we have the prototype and it fits the car very well, we will be contacting some Buick vendors to help us get this thing into the market. Hopefully with a few vendors help in buying some volume. We can get meat the price goal that everyone wanted.

Please don’t hold back on giving us your opinions. Patrick and I really want one of these on our cars and it sound like many others do too.

Attachments

• spoiler_rev9-iso_1.jpg
    spoiler_rev9-iso_1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 561
or else

If our plastic manufacturer doesn't get it done in the allotted time the they will be subjected to these medieval of torture. :eek: :D :biggrin:

Attachments

• headcrusher.jpg
    headcrusher.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 556
If you design it exactly like the original 84 and 85 GN they have a slot cut in the top of them at the passenger and drivers side and and that allows the sides to be folded in towards the long front section and that would help with shipping.

I know its slightly off topic but.... Any interest in doing one like the Kenne Bell one. I had one, its a nice piece. Now its not so nice pieces.