Front Air dam for FMIC Cars

Murdock

I would like to see an airdam for FMIC cars that directs more air to the radiator from below the IC, Out here in Vegas my car runs around 205-210 if I get on the boost a lil when its 100+ out. I run an Eastern FM with the F-body radiator and dual elec fans and a 160 thermostate, more outside air directed between the IC and radiator should do the trick, otherwise I seem to cool off the radiator with heated IC air. Maybe alot of guys are not having this issue, just us guys in the desert. And heaven forbid if I put the A/C on.

Lose the F body radiator and get abig assed ALRADCO aluminum radiator, period.

I'm in Phoenix and it's just as hot here, if not hotter in the summer.

I run a big, thick FMIC, a big asssed aluminum ALRADCO radiator, dual Spals, blocked off oil cooler and I run a separate trans cooler.

The big asssed aluminum radiator and dual fans allows me to block off the oil cooler, but that is a personal choice I made due to some bad luck with those same lines.
I won't go into that here. You might want to keep that option and it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

The fact is with the ALRADCO radiator and Dual Spal's, I've seldom seen 200 with the A/C on in July.

Then again, I gotta ask why you are pushing the car so hard in 100+ degrees? You do know you're just asking for trouble, yes?

I'm jus' sayin'.......o_O

Thats the thing, Im not pushing it hard, if I take it over 10lbs of boost after it warms up, it seems to jump up to around 200+. It got better once I did put the F-Body radiator on. Its a brand new radiator and the system was flushed. Both fans come on correctly. I actually wont drive the car in summer for this reason. Before the front mount I never had this issue. I figure maybe creating a vent to directing air between the IC and radiator may help cool the radiator better. And cheaper then a new radiator. The ALRADCO may be the way to go. I do run a seperate trans cooler but also run the oil cooler aswell. Thanks for the advice TurboTGuy!

You got me to thinking...

Maybe take the housing from one of those squirrel cage carpet dryers, mod it a bit to make it fit like you want, paint it rattle can semi gloss black and Viola! A home made ambient air channeler...

It just might work..........:)

No really.... Have you sealed all around the fan frame to make sure the fans are pulling all the air thru the radiator and not in from the sides? That helps alot.

Yes, My fans are tight up against the radiator with virtually no gaps, But the front may not be so !!! Ill go give that a look and make sure all incoming air directs into the FMIC and Radiator instead of around them, I know there is a box in kit for the radiator, at least I can narrow it down anyway!

The radiator box in kit is one way to go. Scot at GNS Performance has them. You could also try an air dam under the rad. support from a n.a. car (no gap in the center for the I/C)

The alradco is the way to go. The F-Body rads ok for SLIC cars but they're so thin that without getting enough air they won't disappate the heat fast enough.

The radiator box in kit is one way to go. Scot at GNS Performance has them. You could also try an air dam under the rad. support from a n.a. car (no gap in the center for the I/C)
Just read this... We have the radiator box-in kit's in stock and they lower coolant temps 10-15 deg... Can also be used with a front mount!

I'm going to use an old kennybell fibroglass one piece spoiler ( i have the one with air scoop only on driver side),I'm ducting into the radiator instead of it going to a SLIC,I have huge RJC front mount to, an in Orlando,FL, 90 degree + humide air kills hwy trips, I'm use 3" GN1 radiator an duel fan kit as well.

Thats the thing, Im not pushing it hard, if I take it over 10lbs of boost after it warms up, it seems to jump up to around 200+. It got better once I did put the F-Body radiator on. Its a brand new radiator and the system was flushed. Both fans come on correctly. I actually wont drive the car in summer for this reason. Before the front mount I never had this issue. I figure maybe creating a vent to directing air between the IC and radiator may help cool the radiator better. And cheaper then a new radiator. The ALRADCO may be the way to go. I do run a seperate trans cooler but also run the oil cooler aswell. Thanks for the advice TurboTGuy!

Wow. Thank you for the good words!!

The alradco is the way to go. The F-Body rads ok for SLIC cars but they're so thin that without getting enough air they won't disappate the heat fast enough.

Thank you too. You're correct. The f body rads are about half the thickness and don't have nearly as much cooling capacity.

Peter

seems like a great idea, maybe even a sinlge piece air dam that directs air to the condenser rather than the radiator would help. i have front mount, w a fbody rad, and dual fans, car runs at about 172-180 always without the ac on, w the ac on it can run upto the 190-200 range as the condenser warms up and the ac starts to cool less, kinda patched it w an another pusher infront of the condenser, but it only helps while stopped or in low speeds, at high speeds its more of an air obstruction.

I thought about that, I have the Kenne Bell two piece air dam installed on my car with both actually functional. I just need to get the hose/tube and then direct it on to the front of the radiator. It would be intersteing to see how much ths works if any.

Yes I did polish up those rims since this picture was taken. lol

Attachments

• sideprofilegn.jpg
    sideprofilegn.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 348
Tada! Mines done, Now i'm hunting the "Duel Ram Air One Piece",i'm hearing TA Performance is debaiting making them,i Want the extra passenger side ram air for a tranny cooler,the upper fibroglass shroud piece i cut short an end's under the FMIC allowing fresh cool scooped air in from below to the rad. an forced air through the FMIC ,I put the oil cooler on the end to fool people thinking i still had SLIC...;^)

10-30-12.JPG11-2-12 (2).JPG

that looks good, any pics showing how it directs air into the cooler, closer up? do they still sell that one piece spoiler?

Piping air in between the ic and rad is not recommended. It will create turbulence, and slow the airflow.
Scott's seal kit will do much more than redirecting air from another source...

I made rubber flaps to box in my radiator so all air that goes into the grill must exit thru the radiator, then i cut out my front license plate hole to let more air in. I mounted my oil and trans coolers to the lower rad support and they get fed air from the hole in the bumper and the rest helps cool the rad. Even sitting still with fans on in summer it never goes above 175. I got a damaged 86 grille that i plan to cut up and put in the opening so it matches up with the stock grille, should look factory- its on the list