Fridge leaking. Kenmore

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
Got a fridge over two years ago. Side by side. The warranty just expired and did not get the extended plan. About once a week it leaks about a cup of water from the freezer side. Can never catch it as it happens. Pulled it out and did not look like it comes from the copper or plastic hose.

Got to be the ice maker. I can't see condensation causing that. Can you shut off the ice maker supply and see what happens next week?

Definately the icemaker line, if it's plastic and you moved the fridge recently, there's your problem.

Mine's done it twice in 6 years. you can either splice the line or run a whole new one. either way the plastic 1/4 inch line seems to only last a couple of years before it gets a leak.

Does it happen at once?? IE, nothing for a week.. then all of a sudden a puddle? Or is it a steady leak of about a cup over the course of a week?

Where do you see the water? Puddle of ice in the bottom of the freezer? Under the fridge on the floor?

Forgot. Yes, I was deployed for about 3 months. I shut off the water before I left. My wife got home about a month before I got home. She said it was still leaking. When I shut off the water, did not drain the water from the door dispenser. Did not know if that would hurt it. It has a door ice dispenser as well as a water filter at the bottom. Thought it may be leaking from the filter. Just replaced it.

There is a tube that runs down the back. I think it is from the defrost. It drains into the bottom to evaporate. Sometimes the fitting that the tube comes from gets plugged. It will dump water. And it takes a few days for it to fill up then it will leak again.

my leak was the filter twice. the plastic housing cracks but i do have high water pressure

mine was a iced over drain hole at the bottom of the fridge, pull the bottom tray out.

Is the compressor on top or bottom? Is the temp dropping? There is a capillary tube that runs down the inside of the freezer that will freeze up and then defrost. this on the top mount compressor. That tube will crack in time and cause what you explaining. That thing should have some kind of warranty. My parents had a Kitchen aid and the tube was corroded and leaking for a long time but didnt know because it was running under the tile floor. I looked at their owners manual and found that whirlpool which is made in the same warehouse in a mexico city as kitchen aid had a warranty for 12 years on parts but not labor. Read your book real good to make sure. Hope this helps.

Follow up on this. Still have the leaking problem. I have the back (cardboard) off and the lower front cover off. There is a small heat exchanger at the front covered with dirt and cat hair. I vacuumed it off. Not that this has anything to do with the problem. It is has been difficult to witness the leaking as it happens. It's a small leak that does not make a dripping sound....so I can't catch it in the act. The fridge and freezer a working fine. It is a Kenmore cold spot 59422801. I am getting ready to deploy and unless I find the leak today, will need to call a repair dude. Should I call sears or just look up a local fridge repair guy? I know it will take them a minute to fix but I am running out of time.

Follow up on this. Still have the leaking problem. I have the back (cardboard) off and the lower front cover off. There is a small heat exchanger at the front covered with dirt and cat hair. I vacuumed it off. Not that this has anything to do with the problem. It is has been difficult to witness the leaking as it happens. It's a small leak that does not make a dripping sound....so I can't catch it in the act. The fridge and freezer a working fine. It is a Kenmore cold spot 59422801. I am getting ready to deploy and unless I find the leak today, will need to call a repair dude. Should I call sears or just look up a local fridge repair guy? I know it will take them a minute to fix but I am running out of time.
May need a defrost terminator, call a repair man.

Should I use Sear since they are the Kenmore experts or find a local repairman?

If everything back there is dry, why not dust a little bit of talcum powder back there and check back everyday. This should give you a better idea of where the leak is coming from and it's probably something you can fix yourself.

The talcum powder trick sounds like a good idea. The Sears repair man just left. It is a $75 for the visit. Turns out the Drip pan is cracked and when it reaches a certain level it leaks out. At least that's what he says. His computer was down so he could not get an accurate price. He called another repairman and said the labor was $200. Since his computer was down and does not have the part on hand and could not order it right now. Got a delay in my deployment so I decided to try to fix it my self. In order to pull out the pan. I looks like the water filter needs to be taken out. Not familiar with the hose connections. Looks like they just push in. Does not look like they thread in. Anyone know how to remove the hoses to the water filter? Another way would bee to remove the front frame bar. The wheels are attached to it. Would have to lift the fridge and put a block under it since that front bar is holding up the fridge. This looks like a better option but don't know if this would damage it some how.

They did not have any on island. The drip pan is soooooo cheap......the designed it to break. It is the quality of those paint roller linners. They want 30 for it and 20 bucks to ship it. I expoxied it and uss a rubberized coating then put dynamat on it. Should hold water for a while now.

Refrigerator problems seem to be in the air! Ours quit working so we went to Lowes and bought a Samsung side by side and the ice maker that is in the freezer door doesn't work. The warranty repair guy came out and had to order a new freezer door. When I called in the problem to Samsung the lady told me to buy ice and fill the ice tray! I didn't pay $1700 for a fridge that doesn't make ice. They said they couldn't get a repairman to my house for a couple weeks. So I raised hell and they got a guy there in two days. Now there is a $600 door on its way to my house. I don't recommend a Samsung to anyone.