Found a fresh Wegner engine

broke1

Banned
Its an on center Stage 2 out of a Busch Grand National car.Its fresh but has been sitting a few years but has been covered and is complete with dry sump,dist,and intake.Even comes with a bellhousing and flywheel,xtra set of vc's,and crank trigger ign.

I know im going to have to change the oil pan(do the make somthing for dry sump in Rgal chasis?Really want to keep dry sump),pistons,and possibly the heads if theyre small chamber.Guy doesnt know alot about the engine except its a stroker with steel rods and high compression.

Is it worth the $5k asking price??Remember,complete and ready to drop in a circle track car...TIA

You could not even think about building one for that money, some of the pans fits a regal, Swap the pistons and cam, your set
Mike

Make sure its not an oddfire crank. Still worth the money, but oddfire rods and crank won't work too well with the turbo stuff.

Ron Tarabori likes running the oddfire engines in his circle track cars.

Hey Drew
It is worth MORE. If you remember David Aldridge (1quick6) put one in a 240z with nitrous and ran some 6.5's at Lassiter Mountain. Compression is very high(13/14 to 1). Those Busch engines were ahead of their time. If you could figure out how to use the dry sump oil and lower the compression, you would have a killer turbo engine. BTW, I am taking your advice and converting to intercooled... Still have not got with Brian Prince to do my tranny... :mad:

Chuck

Its an odd-fire....Why arent they any good for turbo apps???

Chuck,I remember quick6's and his cars,1st GN I ever saw street race was his :) That 240z was pretty bad ass too.

I was actually seriously thinking of running this engine n/a for a while...

broke1 said:
Its an odd-fire....Why arent they any good for turbo apps???

Chuck,I remember quick6's and his cars,1st GN I ever saw street race was his :) That 240z was pretty bad ass too.

I was actually seriously thinking of running this engine n/a for a while...

Drew,

Call Duttweiler on this one.
He did a odd-fire for Ron Fruchey a while back and he did not like it much.
I can not remember the reasons behind this.

IF its a Wegner that hasn't been in anybody else's shop this is probably what you will find. 4.020 bore 3.590 crank. Carillo 6.5 rods with 2.100 journals and Wiseco flat top pistons. The compression will be about 13.5 to one with heads around 34 cc and T & D rockers. It probably has the deep pan with the bungs in the bottom to get to the pan bolts. If you decide to run it N/A the first thing and maybe the only thing to do is change the cam. The busch cams are junk for a street or strip car but the ASA cam works well. If you cant find anybody with a odd fire blank you can have that one reground but you will have to go to a longer pushrod to make up the diff in lobe circle. It's a fair price for a even fire but I think a little high for an odd fire.

Bungs are in the side of the pan....

Can I use the 34 cc heads in a turbo app??

John,I think I remember an article a few years ago in Turbo and High Tech years ago that mentioned somthing about the build and it going low 8's.

Ron,whatd be the fair price for an odd fire engine??Im thinking im gonna offer $3500 for the lot of it.

I was told with stage heads any chamber less than 45 or so and you cannot get the compression low enough no matter what piston you use

If you can use it in a n/a application 3500 would be a fair price. Odd fire cranks are 4 to 500 and rods are a couple hundred a set. Thats why I switched to odd fire engines. If he says no, walk away. It will probably still be there next year. I have a list of motors that guys wanted 10 grand for and they get cheaper each year. Good luck.

stage head cc

i have three pairs of stage heads the ones that i just had some new valves put in have 42 cc and they are on the engine now comp, ratio is 9. to one, . oc,

I'm thinking you can use 34cc heads but you'll need to use 6.3" rods to move the pin and ring pack down in the bore. The piston will need a BIG dish to keep the CR at 9:1 or lower.

Diamond can digitize the combustion chambers and design a piston that will work with those heads. You're probably better starting out with heads that have a bigger combustion chamber.

Bought it for $3k

I pulled the pan and both heads and found new 10/10 bearings and 4.020 flat top pistons.Since it was fresh,I had to buy it:D

Me and my brother are going to put the engine in a late model dirt track Regal w/ a small shot.Dont want the $$$$,just want to win the race ;)