FM good on a stock car?

eddiedellz

Gringo
would say a Front mount intercooler be good on a stock car or would the car need to be modified somewhat? i have all the basic uppgrades fuel pump, adjustable regulator, thrasher chip, .. i was thinking about putting a powerstroke ic in..

You're just cooling the intake charge so you don't have to do anything. But you can take advantage of this cooling with a more aggressive chip (more timing) and more boost.

Of course you need to modify the intercooler piping, including upipe, hoses, etc.

Now should that be your first mod? No. Spring cleaning. Scan tool, fuel, boost, tires, get into the 12s. Then if you have money go for IC, turbo, etc.

well i just did a good tune up air filter spark plugs pvc ect.. its a new walbro pump adjustable fuel pressure reuglator, new turbo link tires .. 12in brake uppgrade :) thats a good one! and new radiator and im working on a alcahool kit as we speak so the next 2 things im thining about are a set of 009 injectors and the intercooler what do yous think about the injectors?

IMO, even taking the stock intercooler off is better then leaving it on.

Yep, the F/M would be a good idea, IMO. While lots of folks say upgrade other stuff first, the stock turbo with it's small wheels, puts alot of heat into the charge to make boost, making that much boost means putting alot of heat into the system, and the F/M sheds off that heat.

If your going to get injectors just get the 60s so you don't have to buy 2-3 sets as you update things.

a front mount IC should be about the last thing on your list.....if your stock mount is good (no leaks) just add a bigger neck (Duttweiler) and you are good for 10's

if your car is primarily a street car, do not go with a front mount because of cooling issues

gese :( talk about you guys confuseing me! heh! hmm can i do 60s? on a stock ecm? well im not trying to go nuts on money on injectors right now im tryen to set up a nice steet car . right now my coolent stays at 180 solid i guess the fm would add about 10 degrees? is it that bad ? pluss i run my a/c still . cant wait to finish the alcahool setup

If you do end up getting the front mount just get the ramchargers dual fans and you will be fine.

When I had my stock turbo, and was running 19 psi , I put in the Thunderfab intercooler (stock location)and gained 3 psi not touching anything else, and spooled instantly.

I have a front mount...

I run 160-170 degrees in humid 90 degree weather =D. Aluminum be cool radiator + distilled water + rm125 + dual flex a lite fans = good cooling.

Originally posted by eddiedellz
hmm can i do 60s? on a stock ecm? well im not trying to go nuts on money on injectors right now im tryen to set up a nice steet car

60s are perfect for a stock ecm. No mods needed.

While my good turbo is being updated, I have a stock turbo on. The 60s work just great with it.

If your looking for good road manners, you want to get the fuel system correct. And a large part of that is enough injector. This tiny injector is good mentiality is generated by folks that didn't know how to properdly do a chip, and just running the injectors static, was an easy way to do things.

Mine's a street car in the truest meaning of that. I run 60s get excellent mileage, and better drivibility then you can imagine. But, I've been at this a while, and do my own chips.

Originally posted by azgn
a front mount IC should be about the last thing on your list.....if your stock mount is good (no leaks) just add a bigger neck (Duttweiler) and you are good for 10's

if your car is primarily a street car, do not go with a front mount because of cooling issues

Just out of curiousity have you compared turbo discharge temp differences between a stock turbo and a large one?. From the few that I have, the stocker put more heat into the intake air for a given amount of boost then large one. So far I've just looked at a stocker and a 61, but I have a 62 with some thermal coatings on it, to now look at.

Really?, maybe just an AZ thing. I've seen a number of F/M GNs around here that get along rather well.

While there are some guys that go quick with rather stock looking parts, to infer that a new guy can set the same standard, is kinda misleading don't you think?.

Originally posted by bruce

While there are some guys that go quick with rather stock looking parts, to infer that a new guy can set the same standard, is kinda misleading don't you think?.

HA! Bruce nailed that one. stock hay stock location intercooler with 10k of other engine work that can run such and such yeah ok other people run them good but what els do they have going on. pritty much stock car looken for some extra stuff without getting extra nuts well im allready there :rolleyes:

ya, I have compared doghouse temps on a FM vs something like a V4 and the front mount wins everytime

is that important at certain performance levels? I doubt it

if you are dealing with a race car running 10's or better, the cooler temps help, but otherwise I sorta doubt it

I would say money could be better spent on a more efficient turbo than an intercooler......

for most cars, an efficient stock location will work just fine

of course this ASSumes track conditions where heat soak is not a factor

I just think the $$ could be spent better elsewhere (for now)

I know what my car can do, and believe me if I can do it, anybody can:)

(note: my car now has a V2, GN1 heads, 70 turbo, 83 injectors, and FAST.....so far, it ain't any faster....there may be a lesson there....)

I agree with AZGN...I think you'll just be making up for an inefficient turbo by putting on the FM and sacrificing daily driving for it.

Personally...and from experience (my own and others) I would do things in this order (assuming you have a well tuned car, valve springs etc):

1.) Scantool
2.) Fuel (bigger the better...trust me on this one...u'll always want more...put the cramer plate on too)
3.) Exhaust (dp! OMG DP! etc. although headers are sorta excluded)
3a.) Dammit i forgot the converter
4.) Turbo (up to ur injectors now)
5.) Suspension/chasis (gotta go and stop that beast)
6.) Intake (intercooler/cam if you wanna go that far)
7.) Head gaskets
8.) ported irons (plenum, headers (maybe) froo froo)
9.) head gaskets
10.) aluminum heads
11.) head gaskets
12.) mains (might as well do the crank and pistons while your in there)
13.) head gaskets
14.) aluminum block
15.) parachute
16.) life insurance

Kev :)

i am runing stock turbo, 009 injectors and a PTE front mount.

front mount made a huge diffrence, but on street boost settings prepare for lag.

i recomend getting a manual boost controler to return quick spool up.

did the intercooler make a big diffrence? well, yes.

i went from 13.1@104 to 12.4 @ 106

of course, these were on diffrent days. 60 ft was 2.0 on the 13 sec run, 1.7 on the 12.4 run. my MPH was low on both runs due to having too much fuel in my tune. so in the end, the front mount only made about a tenth of a diffrence (when you do the math) but i belive that the diffrence the front mount makes will be greater as the amount of air i flow through it becomes greater (IE bigger turbo)

i removed this excess fuel the other day, holey **** its faster!

i will be upgrading to a 44 turbo in the next few weeks (that is if it checks out ok, you never know w/ ebay)

i would say run your car w/ the stock intercooler for a wile and get used to tuning. maxamize your combo and than upgrade.

if you are going to upgrade your intercooler, go w/ a font mount. people will tell you diffrent, but im a firm beliver in getting the intercooler out of the engine compartment.

Originally posted by KillrV6
i am runing stock turbo, 009 injectors and a PTE front mount.

did the intercooler make a big diffrence? well, yes.
i went from 13.1@104 to 12.4 @ 106

if you are going to upgrade your intercooler, go w/ a font mount. people will tell you diffrent, but im a firm beliver in getting the intercooler out of the engine compartment.

Thanks for bringing some numbers to the conversation, but for some folks they'll still want to agrue the point.

And the guestion was about JUST the F/M, not where he could best spend his money. For the pirce of a Powerstroke I/C, at less then $275 with all the fittings, it's not that of expensive of update, and it was the Powerstroke he spec'd in the original post.

Originally posted by eddiedellz
would say a Front mount intercooler be good on a stock car or would the car need to be modified somewhat? i have all the basic uppgrades fuel pump, adjustable regulator, thrasher chip, .. i was thinking about putting a powerstroke ic in..

Well, think about this.:)

To install the PS intercooler you need to drastically cut the core support vertical members on both sides, chop up the plastic inner fenders, remove or cut the steel inner brackets, move lines. This stuff is NOT reversible so your "stock" car is far from stock.

Like has been said, lots of stock location IC choices to easily satisfy your "basic upgrade" plan.