Flooded vapor canister?

1 in 2000

84 GN
Dropped a new Walboro 340 fuel pump in the gnat a couple a days ago, everything went pretty smooth especially since the tank has never been dropped before. I got it all back together, poured in a couple gallons of gas and went for a drive and sure enough the o-ring didn't seal (I thought it went too easy). Sooo drop the tank (it's always easier the second time around) fidget with the o-ring, put the tank back in, test drive, all's good. I take it to work fill it with about 3/4 tank on the way, all's good:cool: . Well when I get home, pull in the driveway I smell fuel big time, not coming from the rear as I expected, but flowing out of the vapor canister up front. Sooo I check the fuel lines to see if I somehow mixed em up, nope :mad:.

Anyone seen this? I'm fully prepared to drop the tank AGAIN but I not sure what I'm looking for, any ideas? :confused:

Dropped a new Walboro 340 fuel pump in the gnat a couple a days ago, everything went pretty smooth especially since the tank has never been dropped before. I got it all back together, poured in a couple gallons of gas and went for a drive and sure enough the o-ring didn't seal (I thought it went too easy). Sooo drop the tank (it's always easier the second time around) fidget with the o-ring, put the tank back in, test drive, all's good. I take it to work fill it with about 3/4 tank on the way, all's good:cool: . Well when I get home, pull in the driveway I smell fuel big time, not coming from the rear as I expected, but flowing out of the vapor canister up front. Sooo I check the fuel lines to see if I somehow mixed em up, nope :mad:.

Anyone seen this? I'm fully prepared to drop the tank AGAIN but I not sure what I'm looking for, any ideas? :confused:

Well, the end of the vent tube is on top of the tank and not in the fuel, so you "should" only get vapors. Unless of course, the tank is 100% full (I think . . CRS :tongue:)

Well, the end of the vent tube is on top of the tank and not in the fuel, so you "should" only get vapors. Unless of course, the tank is 100% full (I think . . CRS :tongue:)

I checked it today @ lunch and there was air pressure in the tank. Everything points to a swapped line. I guess they could be crossed in a blind spot and my eyes are playing tricks on me concerning the different line sizes.

Im going to swap the vent and the return and see what happens.:biggrin:

Well took another look last night and I definitely have the lines right. It's got to be something with the new pump. I temporarily rigged the gas cap so it will vent and not build pressure in the tank at least until I get time to drop the tank and pull the pump for a look.

I dunn know whats going on but I've got to say the car absolutely loves it's new pump :)

If the lines are correct :confused:
I think (first mistake) the only way to get gas in the canister is by over filing the tank then going up hill a pretty steep hill and that would be a long shot.:eek:
Good luck Dude
And BTW Check the lines again.:D

If the lines are correct :confused:
I think (first mistake) the only way to get gas in the canister is by over filing the tank then going up hill a pretty steep hill and that would be a long shot.:eek:
Good luck Dude
And BTW Check the lines again.:D

Nope, only filled it to 3/4 not completely trusting my o-ring instal. I'm kicking around the possibility that the hose on the pump may be loose and spraying fuel at the vent. I may have overlooked a clamp, but usually I have a bad habit of tightening things until either the part or the wrench breaks. :redface:

I found quick painless fix, no duct tape involved. I noticed my gas cap has a spring loaded pressure relief valve in it so I rigged it to stay open. Problem solved....... :)