Flex Fuel Sensor - Where/How to Mount?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I have my GM fuel sensor but cannot decide best place to mount it. Any ideas? Would like to put it under the hood but open to any/all ideas. Photos would be nice!
Conrad

Am I really the first GN owner to install the flex fuel sensor?
Conrad

I made a bracket with a hole in it. Attached it to the bolt that holds the fuel tank in and ran my plumbing all by the tank.

I have my GM fuel sensor but cannot decide best place to mount it. Any ideas? Would like to put it under the hood but open to any/all ideas. Photos would be nice!
Conrad
Conrad, what is the GM part# and what was the price?

Some good photos of the sensor install would be really nice!

I'm away from my PC but the GM PN is listed in the Stickies. I paid $150 on E-bay and got the pigtail. The sensor looks new!
Conrad

Measures how much flex is in your fuel.

Check out the sticky "Fuel Sensor for XFI"......you can install a GM flex fuel sensor that will interface with FAST XFI to automatically adjust various parameters of FAST tfor whatever fuel you are running....I.E., you could run 50% E85 and 50% gasoline and it would adjust fuel and spark paramaters accordingly! So, I will have a Flex Fuel GN!! I cannot wait to see how it works.
Conrad

it doesnt change the timing tables to my knowledge. it will change the target a/f

I haven't decided where to mount mine yet either....I set it up though where I can mount it where ever I want. The return line still just runs in the same general place, I just put some fittings together to be able to T it off...the sensor doesn't really need to be right in line..just need to bleed off a little fuel to it for a reading. I will most likely mount mine back by the tank somewhere.

eq44mv.jpg

2mm6654.jpg

I like connecting the two "T"'s together like that. Smart.
Conrad

I like connecting the two "T"'s together like that. Smart.
Conrad

A good chunk of connections for a leak but I will do it right....rather deal with making sure its all secure than bottle necking the return line down to the small size of the sensor. This way you have no flow restrictions and can mount it wherever you feel.

I put mine (Ford Sensor) in the return line in place of where the tiny connector fitting would usually be which actually made it less restrictive. I have twin pumps and the Megasquirt turns on the second under boost so the return line restriction with the sensor has never been an issue.

Also are you planning on putting a restriction in the main part of the return line to force fuel to flow through the flex sensor? Otherwise the sensor will be inaccurate as it will take time for it it circulate on its own through the sensor

,Dan

Here is how I put mine in. It is mounted on the driver's side fender.

,Dan

Attachments

• Flex Sensor.jpg
    Flex Sensor.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 377
I'm not using stock lines...forgot about that if someone is using stock lines. Won't be restrictive for them at all I suppose. :)

I'm running -8 all the way back....and the lines coming off the T going into the sensor will be less than 6 inches if my location in mind works. You think that will actually have trouble circulating? o_O I'd be surprised if that were the case

it doesnt change the timing tables to my knowledge. it will change the target a/f

Without the ECM auto changing the timing for E85 composition it IMO is pretty useless to have a flex fuel sensor. The flame fronts of E85 vs Gasoline travel at completely different speeds, to make up for this you need to change timing to take advantage of its capabilities.

Here is a sneak peek of a a while back with my GN. o_O

Attachments

• 2011-06-30_00-27-52_676.jpg
    2011-06-30_00-27-52_676.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 225
Based off of basic fluid dynamics what would make the fuel want to go through the sensor? If there is no restriction between the T's it will go straight through instead of going around 4 90* corners that you explain as being restricted in the sensor, as well as two of those 4 corners being non force fed 90* corners. IMO the fuel will take a long time to 100% get new fuel through the sensor and your update will be laggy. Also I don't know about the XFI's capabilities with a flex fuel sensor, but MS3x inputs fuel temp as well so for accurate readings you want to be near the engine and in direct flow. Not telling you what to do with your setup, just saying that flood flow theory works against it.

,Dan

Based off of basic fluid dynamics what would make the fuel want to go through the sensor? If there is no restriction between the T's it will go straight through instead of going around 4 90* corners that you explain as being restricted in the sensor, as well as two of those 4 corners being non force fed 90* corners. IMO the fuel will take a long time to 100% get new fuel through the sensor and your update will be laggy. Also I don't know about the XFI's capabilities with a flex fuel sensor, but MS3x inputs fuel temp as well so for accurate readings you want to be near the engine and in direct flow. Not telling you what to do with your setup, just saying that flood flow theory works against it.

,Dan

Hmmm...well I'm running the pro-efi which adjusts tunes instantly based on the sensor's readings. I just figured it would be so much fuel and flow that it would just fill the gaps lol. And no worries I'm always down for constructive criticism...wonder what I could do to get it to flow well.....maybe mounting it right under my FPR and just getting an adapter to widen it to -8 after the fitting would be a better choice....hmmm *scratches noggin*

Maybe weld half the end closed on the 1st T?