Flex Fuel Conversion

Ken Adams

Would like the option of using E-85 in my 86 GN, where available, and 91 or 93 octane unleaded gas where it is not.
Has any board member done a flex fuel conversion on a 86/87 GN? What specifically is required to do this conversion? Thank you for your input.

It's really easy. I bought an E85 compatible pump (several available from Racetronix - Deatschwerks - TurboTweak), a new stainless pump hanger with upgraded wiring from Racetronix, replaced the rubber hoses over the rear axle and on top of the tank with multi-fuel hose from NAPA (you'll need about 2 feet of 3/8" - 5/16" and 1/4"), installed a volt booster from Casper's Electronics, and finally you need big injectors 60's minimum and 80's are about ideal for street/track use in the 11's. That's really it. And I got a Flex fuel vehicle emblem at the junkyard for the decklid, haha.

It's really easy. I bought an E85 compatible pump (several available from Racetronix - Deatschwerks - TurboTweak), a new stainless pump hanger with upgraded wiring from Racetronix, replaced the rubber hoses over the rear axle and on top of the tank with multi-fuel hose from NAPA (you'll need about 2 feet of 3/8" - 5/16" and 1/4"), installed a volt booster from Casper's Electronics, and finally you need big injectors 60's minimum and 80's are about ideal for street/track use in the 11's. That's really it. And I got a Flex fuel vehicle emblem at the junkyard for the decklid, haha.

What is controlling the timing and/or boost to make it a flex fuel?

We've got an entire E-85 section and there's a ton of info in it Ken. A little searching and you'll find more than enough info about converting.;)

2 different chips, 1 for 93, 1 for E-85 ..unless your running an XFI, I was low 90% DC on 79# injectors near mid 11's/ low 7.xx in the 1/8.

I forgot about the chip. Eric Marshall - Turbo Tweak.

My comments are the Cliff's Notes from the E85 section :D but they are not the end-all, be-all. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I should get a 93 chip to have in reserve. Any one have one for 72s they'd like to sell?

Genuine flex fuel capability would require something like the ProEFI control system with a flex fuel sensor installation in the fuel return line. Very pricey but also very awesome. There are a few Buicks in the chicagoland area using it, with real flex fuel capability. Installation and tuning was handled by Sound Performance located near Chicago.

Genuine flex fuel capability would require something like the ProEFI control system with a flex fuel sensor installation in the fuel return line. Very pricey but also very awesome. There are a few Buicks in the chicagoland area using it, with real flex fuel capability. Installation and tuning was handled by Sound Performance located near Chicago.

I have been told that the same thing could be done with XFI.
Yes its on my "to do" list

We've got an entire E-85 section and there's a ton of info in it Ken. A little searching and you'll find more than enough info about converting.;)
Charlielf1, I have been monitoring the E85 section for useful info but what I want to do, if it's possible, convert my 86 GN to a true flex fuel vehicle, similar to current flex fuel vehicles, that do not require a chip change when going from E85 to 93 octane fuel or from 93 octane to E85. I would prefer not to be required to make chip change when using different gasoline blends. Charlief1, I did not find any info in the E85 section that addresses what I want to do and therefore, started this thread. As always, thank you for your assistance.

Charlielf1, I have been monitoring the E85 section for useful info but what I want to do, if it's possible, convert my 86 GN to a true flex fuel vehicle, similar to current flex fuel vehicles, that do not require a chip change when going from E85 to 93 octane fuel or from 93 octane to E85. I would prefer not to be required to make chip change when using different gasoline blends. Charlief1, I did not find any info in the E85 section that addresses what I want to do and therefore, started this thread. As always, thank you for your assistance.
The only way to do that would be to change to a later design op system. The stock computer is very crude and isn't capable enough to do what you're wanting. The other possible solution would be to have a dual chip holder and have a switch you can go from one chip to the other.

My bad, I read this entirely wrong. I should not reply on days when I am preoccupied. Sorry.

The SD-2 system has a "fuel composition" parameter that can be used to adjust for E85, the capability is there to make
it automatic, if any of you guys want to go that way. I plan to set this up on my car in the spring. (its 20 degrees here today)

Bob

The SD-2 system has a "fuel composition" parameter that can be used to adjust for E85, the capability is there to make
it automatic, if any of you guys want to go that way. I plan to set this up on my car in the spring. (its 20 degrees here today)

Bob
Automatic timing correction too?

Weather got cold here before I even got a chance to start using my SD2.... now I'm already in withdrawals!

yeah, I think fully separate tables for the different fuels is more complex than needed, just some linked parameters.

I just need to get the sensor installed.

Bob