Fixing the touchy steering

dthrock

Fixing the touchy steering -HELP

My TTA is mostly stock and will probably stay that way as far as the engine goes but I want to make it a little more drivable. Ive done a search in the forums but didnt have much luck on finding specific info I was looking for. I found some references to bushings but not to what they actually do once they are in.

Anyway heres what I am trying to get rid of. The car is very touchy over rough roads and bumps. Hitting a bump will cause the car to head off in a direction you dont want it to, causing you to have to adjust via the wheel. The steering itself is pretty touchy, which isnt a bad thing except it seems to wander a bit as well. This may be a 'feature' of all the TTA's but since Ive only driven my own I dont know that.

Could anyone point me to a thread that may address some of these issues?

Dave

I know this is no help, but just FYI, mine does the same thing. I'm not sure of all the factors involved in this problem. I know the choice of tires is a factor.

I think alot of that is caused by the tires. When I put GTA rims on my GN it started doing that just like the TTA. With the stock rims/tires it didn't do it.

I've noticed the same thing since I bought new tires. The perelli tires didn't do it. I just let some air out of the tire and it seemed to improve. The closer I got the tire pressue to the suggested numbers in the driver's door, the better it rides :) and, the less it wants to choose its own ground track.

What you are describing is called "tracking". BAsically the tires are so sticky that they want to "track" the grooves in the road... or bumps or whatever. Skinnier tires will not do this as much, but an 8" wide tire will tend to find more grooves to follow and adhire to the road better because of the enlarged contact area.
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do aboiut this.
As far as adjusting the touchyness of your steering. Well, I can help you there. On your power steering pump there is a pressure adjustment. I am not 100% sure where it is located at, but find a small square end stud and thats it. By looseing it you will drop the pressure on the system and thus relive some of the touchyness, or tighten it up to increase it. There is a spring loaded check valve in the pump to prevent it from over pressuring (at high RPMS), but like a wastegate... it sets the operating pressure as well. The pumps are made to operate at max pressure at idle because thats when you need to most help from the power assists, such as when manuvering in a parking lot.

Hope this helps

Kyle F

Any where to go to get more info this pressure adjustment? Not that I am doubting. I have had my pump off twice, and messed with it quite a bit while off, and I don;t recall anthing like you describe. I will admit, Iwas not looking but the pump body is not all that large.

Brent

hmmm, thats the way it was on my 86 Trans Am... I never thought that the TTA might have a different box.
I am not sure where you cango to find further information. These boxes might not have an adjustment. I do know however, that the pressure regulation is handeled by a spring loaded check vlave. I will look at ine either tonight or tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Box or pump? Your first post said PUMP. Are you like I and suffer from a constant case of your fingers not typing what your mind is thinking:D . On the box, yes, but I don't think it is pressure related. I have never taken one apart, and to be honest never had to adjust one, but I am under the impression that that adjusts the gear mesh between the input and output shafts in the box and not line pressure.

Brent

D'Oh! :eek: I meant Box LOL

Yea, I had not taken a good look at it in a long time. I was just basing it off what I knew about power steering pumps. Anyways... it does appear to be a mesh adjustment. It will allow a little play in your steering wheel relieving some of the touchyness.

I know from experiance that the rear tires and a loose panhard bar will cause the touchy steering you are talking about. When the rear tracks you must counter-steer it to correct, which ends up being a never ending battle. Check your rear suspension and sidewalls by pushing on the quarter panel to see how much the rear of the car moves. It is also possible to install the panhard bar upside down and it will be sloppy as he||. HTH

For starters you should get the alignment checked. If you only have the problem on roads with groves worn in them thats normal. But if you have it all the time you need a alignment. If the toe is'nt right the steering will be sensitive. Also there is no pressure adjustment on the box or pump! The a adjustment on the box is for taking up free-play in the box.
Steve K.