Fixing Spark Plug THREAD problem ??

Black Car

I believe that the spark plug thread (one) is stripped on a set of Champion alum head but I have never seen one act like this.

The plug will not unscrew and come out. When we first started to remove the #1 cylinder plug, it was just a little snug and not tight. It had very little resistance when we were trying to remove it but after 15-20 revolutions the plug was still NOT coming out of the head. Heck we even had trouble getting the spark plug socket off the plug.
When we tried to tighten the plug up, of course it wouldn't tighten (maybe 3-5# and then loose again).

Is there any way to helicoil the plug threads without having to remove the head from the engine ??

TIA,
Gary

No, it isn't on my new engine but a friends car.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't do it without pulling the head. All you need is for those little peices of aluminum shavings getting into the cylinder and ........ well, you know the rest. :(

You may already have done this, but I'd use a lot of penetrating oil to help the plug come out. Once the plug is out, I'd re-tap the hole with the proper tap. Should clean it up to the point where it would be ok. Maybe some anti-seize on the new plug will aid future removal. ;)

Thanks Joe and John. I already explained these options to JD.
The problem with the plug not coming out even pulling on the it puzzled me.

Just asking to see if anyone else knew of a way to do it without removing the head.

Gary :(