First time rebuilder questions on 2004r

Warrant

1. The Overdrive backing plate measured .196" (suppose to be .210") is this ok?

2. I have .062" clearance between snap ring and backing plate in overrun assembly. (top of OD indeed measures 1.400" from plate)

3. The direct clutch housing backing plate measures .176" (suppose to be .210")

4. Direct clutch clearnace measures .070" (suppose to be .030 - .065")

-So because of the plate and clearance, all I need is a plate that measures .210" right? This will get me within the tolerance?

5. After getting the direct drum assembly all together and air checking on the center support, I notice there was quite a bit of air the seemed to be comming up right out the middle. After playing around with it and pouring fluid all over to see bubbles, I determined the air is getting passed the space between the top bushing and race of the support/drum. Is this normal? or is the ring not sealing? I also noticed that if you put pressure on the outside of the drum at different places, the air will come out correspondingly at a different place around the bushing. (dual feed modded, middle ring removed, seal removed, bleed hole drilled per ck book)

6. One more nooby question, the steels for the directs, these have two spots where some of the teeth are missing. Do these need to be orientated a special way or just throw in the any which way?

Thank you so much for all your help.

more as i move on

7. I cant figure out the forward drum clutch assembly. I have the aluminum piston. My kit came with only 3 steels, 4 frictions, a new wave plate, and a new backing plate. Ck books says wave plate first, steel on top, then alternate till all 4 frictions are in. Well that means I need another steel right? cause ATSG manual says 3 steels, 4 frictions, and 2 wave plates... Dont use two waved plates correct? Is this a mod. in CK's book?

Thanks for you guys time to help me out here. Im a 19 year old kid tryin to get this behind a big inch small block, and have only built one th350 before (which worked great!).

8. I just noticed that the solid teflon ring on the input shaft that is installed in the overrun housing is leaking air(bubbling alot when tranny fluid is pour in around the area). Is this normal?

9. Is lots of play of the sun gear/sun shell snap ring normal? It moves around alot.

10. Upon checking rearend play per ck book, I cant even get the snap ring in the groove of the top of output shaft. The book says i may have miss assembled something buy i have gone through everything 5 times. Also I have ended up with 3 different thickness plastic washers that go on the back of the sun shell, I did not know these were selective. Even with the thinnest one (.060")(I also have a .071 and a .084") I still need about somewhere in the range of additional .050" to get the ring in. I only have one metal selective washer for this measuring .136".. How come I see they have different color ones? All I have ever seen is silver ones.?

What combination do I use to arrive at .002" to .004" rear endplay?

Looks like i may be in over my head on my abilities on this one.

I may just have to make several posts. no one wants to go through all this crap now lol.

10. Upon checking rearend play per ck book, I cant even get the snap ring in the groove of the top of output shaft. The book says i may have miss assembled something buy i have gone through everything 5 times. Also I have ended up with 3 different thickness plastic washers that go on the back of the sun shell, I did not know these were selective. Even with the thinnest one (.060")(I also have a .071 and a .084") I still need about somewhere in the range of additional .050" to get the ring in. I only have one metal selective washer for this measuring .136".. How come I see they have different color ones? All I have ever seen is silver ones.?

What combination do I use to arrive at .002" to .004" rear endplay?[/QUOTE]

I can't help with everything, but for rear end play, do you have the output shaft supported with the fixture? (as shown in ATSG page 39, figure 67) If not, you should have this fixture. If you do have it, you might have to adjust it so the shaft raises. As for the selective thrust washer, you need to first determine what your current end play measurement is. Then, using that as a reference choose the proper thickness washer from the chart on page 44, figure 83 of the ATSG manual. You can order the washer from any of the vendors on the board. I get all of my stuff from Bruce at PTS, great guy to deal with. ;)

4 . You can get thicker steels for direct to get the play down to .030 - .045" . It's not uncommon to have a couple that are .010" thicker in the same clutch.

go here: Transmission Parts, Makco Transmission Parts Online

5. Did you use teflon or iron rings? I could never get the teflon rings to air check worth a damn, they always leaked. Iron rings "might" wear more on the drum but they seal much better. I don't fall for the teflon hype.

6. Doesn't matter

10. When putting the drum back in, it seems that it meshes 2 separate times, for it to go all the way in. There is a measurement to ensure that it is fully seated, and the GM manual has an incorrect number.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do these look leaky to you?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i155.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/72nova400/MVI_0124.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i155.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/72nova400/MVI_0125.flv">

Both videos with about 30 psi.

I used the iron interlocking rings on the support, i tired packing with vasoline and it still leaks as in the above video.

If I use 60psi on the direct, the piston pops up with alot of force and there is alot of force on you finger plugging the other hole. (the direct drum is also drilled per ck manual)

(On the overrun, thats ck shaft with a solid blue teflon ring)

I thought you change clearance with the pressure plate?

you can have steals of different thicknesses in the same pack right?

What about putting two thinner steals back to back?

4 . You can get thicker steels for direct to get the play down to .030 - .045" . It's not uncommon to have a couple that are .010" thicker in the same clutch.

They dont have kolene's in oversize, which im using.

this threads now a mess lol hmmm i dont know what to do

The direct air check didn't seem too bad. Remember that it will be fluid working it, not air which has a much higher viscosity. The overrun seems a bit leaky to me, but application of it (in a transient manner)is not used in any forward shifting right? Thinner or thicker plates or steels, or a mixture, it's all the same, doesn't matter, final clearance is what matters

Were you able to assemble and set the end play of the output shaft assembly while it was on your bench? Are you using a NEW hardened sun gear shell? Are there any signs of wear on the sun gear splines or snap ring or groove which would make the fit seem loose?