Fire jacket

Rodney87GN

I tried to go to the track last night but they didn't let me run because they said if I'm running alcohol injection I need to have an SFI approved fire jacket.:mad: Something about the alcohol being an alternative fuel located in the engine compartment...I should've told him was straight water in the tank.;)

Then he went on to say I didn't have an approved alcohol tank (it's Julio's kit BTW). I told him that this is the only alky kit that is NHRA approved. I think he was gonna let me slide on that but he wouldn't budge on the fire jacket issue.

So...is a fire jacket required when running alcohol jacket? TIA...

was this at qualcomm?

If so, They never even looked at my alcohol kit before and I've never volunteered information about it.

Ever since I added Nitrous to the car they demanded that I wear a fire jacket and I bought one.

I would suggest going through again and avoiding any mention of the alcohol kit. I removed the sticker from the cap on mine, and if they bring it up just say its water.. Usually those old bastards don't know what an alcohol injection kit is anyway.

Yup, qualcomm.

The tech guy saw the braided line going into the up pipe so he asked about it. I wasn't gonna say sh!t about the alky, but I had a gut feeling he was going to ask. At the time I didn't think about it, but in hindsight I should have said it was water. I told him I could just turn the system off...but he insisted I can remove it if I want.:rolleyes:

Maybe next time I'll just go there with the tank empty, and then fill it up after tech.:biggrin:

I've heard in the past the tech guys at the Q are anal...maybe even uninformed? I think I'll try Barona instead, I heard they're not as picky. Or just invest the 60 bucks for a fire jacket.;)

The track here in Albuquerque makes up have one also because the new regs state "having a non-oem turbo requires a sfi jacket". I think the rule is meant for turbos that are added on but our track interpreted it as if the turbo is upgraded (not oem) a jacket is required.

The NHRA rule is that if you have an after market turbo you must have an SFI approved jacket....

In my personal opinion thats about as stupid is it gets... if they dont want us racing on the street then dont hassle us when we show up at your tracks.

I dont honestly know anything about the Alky tank rule, but that is bull****...

You can pick up a jacket or even a full suit for relatively cheap and look like a race car driver at the same time... besides, if I show up at tech wearing my suit they never look at anything twice... if I show up in street clothes they pick the car over and hassle me about breakin 11.50's... it can be annoying owning a car that looks "fast"...

Yup, qualcomm.

The tech guy saw the braided line going into the up pipe so he asked about it. I wasn't gonna say sh!t about the alky, but I had a gut feeling he was going to ask. At the time I didn't think about it, but in hindsight I should have said it was water. I told him I could just turn the system off...but he insisted I can remove it if I want.:rolleyes:

Maybe next time I'll just go there with the tank empty, and then fill it up after tech.:biggrin:

I've heard in the past the tech guys at the Q are anal...maybe even uninformed? I think I'll try Barona instead, I heard they're not as picky. Or just invest the 60 bucks for a fire jacket.;)

Barona tech is awesome. Guy gives your car a once over and once he determines you aren't some scumbag retard with threads showing on your tires he sends you on your way. He didn't say anything about fire jacket, didn't demand that my helmet was snell 2000 or better (or whatever qualcomm asks for) and didnt care that my nitrous bottle had no blowdown tube.
The only problem with barona is that the drive is more brutal on my car than the track. I pegged my trans temp gauge just trying to get up there