Finaly found false knock

blackdeathtrap

smoking six barrel
So after chasing my false knock for lord knows how long iv found it.
The link from tranny to steering col is hitting the ds header any fixes for this other then removing it if yes please take my money lol

it hits when its in drive?

if it does which i doubt , loosen the adjuster bolt at bottom (13mm) and spin the linkage rod toward the fender , twist the adjuster nut toward the trans and tighten it back up

How did you determine it was that? Did you remove it?

Realise it because back when i had the pro stick in the car i did not have that link instaled and had 0 knock until a motor mount let go i put new stock mounts and put stock shifter back in since then noting else change but i have ridiculous knock numbers like 18 deg or retard and full lights on gauge but 0 pepering on the plugs and noting else is loose as soon as weather clears up im going to pull linkaged and instal torq strap to comfirm my knock is actualy false

Out of curiosity, why did you go back to the stock shifter?

Dint like the look dint work very well and i fell im love with the shorty stock shifter which i have looks asome

Mine was hitting because the bushing at the top of the link had a lot of slop in it. It was not causing my false knock (it was the balancer in my case) but I just used a big zip tie to keep it away from the header.

How do you check if harmonic balacer is knocking any easy tricks
Just make sure the bolt is really tight. Like 200 ft/lb. The balancer is not a super tight fit and some aftermarket balancers can fit a little loose. That is what happened to me. Aftermarket balancer was not tight enough on crank and then the bolt was not tightened enough as well. End result was that the balancer was rattling around even though it seemed tight. Crank key showed damage from the balancer rattling around. I chased a false knock for months before I finally found it. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. False knock driving me crazy was the thread I think.

If a balancer ran loose at any time there's a chance it's cracked. Close inspection or magna flux if any doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the shifter rod defiantly out of a TR? The Camaro rod is similar but not exact.

That is a real common issue on these cars. However I have never had it cause false knock, instead it just drove guys crazy with their super quiet three muffler systems and took a bit to find the source. It was making more of a buzzing/rattling sound. I use a long light carb return spring and just hook one end to the rod and the other I just drilled a tiny hole in the lower end of the plastic inner fender. (above the upper control arm). Works like a champ and is not noticeable. $1.50 fix. (Just like the the sound of the dash falling apart when you hit a pot hole........grease the center hood bumper on the cowl. Noise goes away)