Finally!!!

GNeric

After 8 years of sitting, my Vega is finally on my lift and I have started the process of making her a Grand National drivetrain car. Cut the spare tire well out and making the floor flat and ready for the 18 gallon GN tank. Sawzall got a workout tonight. Got the diff and 10 gallon tank torn out last night and am ready to get me some sheet metal to finish the floor. Maybe, since I finally have a Saturday off, I will get a bunch done. Still need to modify the firewall so the 3.8 will fit without hammering the metal and making it look all dimpled and goofy. Going to cut, move back and reweld at least 4 inches up from where the firewall turns to floorboard so it will clear the bellhousing and the 2004R trans.

Attachments

• 73_GT_UpInTheAir.jpg
    73_GT_UpInTheAir.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 786
  • DiffOut.jpg
    DiffOut.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 807
  • 73_GT_Floor.jpg
    73_GT_Floor.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 803
it truly is a beautyful car.

Definitly something to stand around and drink beer too....

Eric...

I think its time for a another bon fire.... I got leftover christmas firewood to dispose of!

A.j.

That may work. Almost out of Bonfire season. Just cool enough at night it may work. How soon you want to bonfire and drink? I work every Saturday still so Friday nights are out. We can get Fuzzy and Amanda and whoever else wants to come on over. :D

Wish I was closer to you guys. I'd be joining you for some fun.:eek::biggrin:

Looks good Eric. I know you've been wanting to get it done for a while so I want to see where it goes.:cool:

Thanks Charlie. I have been grinding and welding tonight. Got all the factory flooring welded where I sliced it. Going to grind a bit more tomorrow night and measure for new sheet metal to make up the rest of the floor. Mock up with cardboard and try and get all that done before the end of the week. Then on to the firewall. THEN I can start putting it together. Little by little.

Little by little until it is all in. ;) I will pound it in if I have to. :eek:

Thanks Charlie. I will see how far I can get without having to buy anything yet. I still have a small stash from all the H-bodies I used to have.

Not words your wife wants to here Eric.:biggrin: I'm just as bad as Aj after all. LOL

I still have some parts left over if you need something Eric. Not many but a few.:biggrin:

Got the floor (spare tire-well) almost flat now. Started the welds in this pic and they are done now. Started on firewall tonight. Need about 5 more inches to go so the trans can be removed and installed without having to pull engine. The top driver side bellhousing bolt and the one above the dowl are the ones that won't clear. By tomorrow night, they will. ;)

Then to buy the sheetmetal to seal up the floor and done with that part of the modification process. :D

Attachments

• VegaFloorPan.jpg
    VegaFloorPan.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 607
Thanks. :) My Droid takes AWESOME pics compared to my digital cam so I am going to document this as I go. :D

you may be right on the bonfire thing........ it is alittle late in the season..... but something about open fire makes women all randy and such.

either way, we need to have a drunk fest.

but the Vega is looking bomb... but makes me need to get moving on the truck.

A.j.

If I could sell this Riviera, I could get the sheet metal I need to finish the back portion and get a few little things I am going to need up front. ;););)
Let's see when we can get a bonfire going. I am ready for a good drinkfest. Been a while. :eek:

I might just send you some "refreshment" since I can't make it guys. If you plan it for this weekend then I can't but if you can wait until next week I may be able to send it out there to see if you cand stand up to it.

Cool, thanks Charlie. I don't know when it would be but we did have a few bonfires during the summer. It gets SUPER hot about 50 feet away when we stack up 3-4 cedar pallets and let them flame up. Makes for a VERY bright yard too. :p I will let you know if AJ doesn't first. :)

Just be prepaired to fall over Eric. This stuff is potent enough to put Ty down for the count. LOL He didn't believe you could make it with enough "punch" to put him down but it hits like a freight train after the second glass.

Few more pics of almost where it will reside in the car. :)

Attachments

• TestFit02.jpg
    TestFit02.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 538
  • TestFit03.jpg
    TestFit03.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 572
  • TestFit04.jpg
    TestFit04.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 540
  • TestFit05.jpg
    TestFit05.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 538
These kind of show where I had to modify the firewall. The one bolt on the driver side (middle bolt) is the one that may be a bit tight still but I don't want to cut any more since it is so close to the gas pedal mount inside the passenger compartment.

Attachments

• TransTunnelMod01.jpg
    TransTunnelMod01.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 533
  • Firewall01.jpg
    Firewall01.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 543
  • Firewall02.jpg
    Firewall02.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 545
  • Firewall03.jpg
    Firewall03.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 524
  • Firewall04.jpg
    Firewall04.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 554
Yes. Complete 26,xxx mile hotair setup. Got the whole car cheap ($200) about 6 years ago and finally got the project started. Was an 85 TType. :)