Finally Replaced the Antenna - Results

Boostmeister

After putting the job off for like 2 years, I finally got around to replacing the power antenna. It really wasn't that bad a job. I want to summarize the procedure while it is still fresh in my mind.

1. Remove the battery to expose the "hole" in the fender.
2. Using a 7mm socket, remove the 2 screws holding the bezel that lines the louver hole in the inside of the fender. Remove the bezel while holding on to the inner duct.
3. Remove the inner duct by snaking it through the battery hole.
4. Remove the front knurled nut and screw that holds the fender louver vent.
5. Remove the antenna mast nut and plastic spacer. Tie a strong string to the cut-outs on the top of the antenna mast tube. Also tie a string to the antenna wiring connector.
6. Protect the door and fender with tape, then remove the bolt with star washer holding the antenna in place. Use a 10mm wrench.
7. Reach through the louver hole and guide the antenna, mast first, out through the battery hole. As the antenna reaches the hole, use a stubby phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws holding the antenna coax cable.
8. To install the rebult/new antenna, reverse the procedure, taking care not to tangle the coax and wiring while snaking back.

Its a little tricky, but overall not too hard of a job. I actually think its easier then a regular GN.

Thanks for posting this. I would've never thought of doing it this way. Would sure beat doing it per the manual.

I also was able to remove the antenna on my GNX using the same method which is actually easier than doing one on a TR. I wasn't able to secure an original replacement so I rebuilt mine by replacing the mast only & works fine except for AM radio now has bad reception & no longer able to listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Help needed. I've been putting off replacing/rebuilding the power antenna on my 87 GN. What level of repair is needed when this is the symptom: the antenna power plug is disconnected and the antenna is in the up position. I plug it back in and all it does it make this whining noise. Told the wife to zip it but the whining was still there. Must be from the antenna power motor.

Thanks again...I got it out. They could have made the aerial cable a couple of inches longer.....

Help needed. I've been putting off replacing/rebuilding the power antenna on my 87 GN. What level of repair is needed when this is the symptom: the antenna power plug is disconnected and the antenna is in the up position. I plug it back in and all it does it make this whining noise. Told the wife to zip it but the whining was still there. Must be from the antenna power motor.
Broken cable inside the antenna? I don't think the cable repair kits are available anymore. Maybe try Kirban/BWeavy for a replacement. I would make sure they have one in stock before sending money, as they seem to be in short supply. I bought one on Ebay that was supposed to work for a GN and reception is terrible.

Do you just have to remove the front knurled nut and screw or the back one too? If so how do you get to the back one?

Just the front one. You may have to cut down a torx bit to hold the screw from the outside and loosed the knurled nut. Thats how I did mine.

3. Remove the inner duct by snaking it through the battery hole.
7. Reach through the louver hole and guide the antenna, mast first, out through the battery hole. As the antenna reaches the hole, use a stubby phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws holding the antenna coax cable.

Thanks. I was wondering how in the world I was going to get to that back bolt. Couple other questions. I've read some other posts in different places I can't remember where now but I believe one said not to completely remove the inner duct and to just tie a string to it and let it rest on the fender well. Does it have to come out or can it be left in? When it says "louver hole" I'm assuming it means the inner one? Do you remove the screws for the coax cable through the inner louver hole or the battery hole? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be sure before I dig in.

I removed the inner vent through the battery hole.it is prettry easy to do. I also undid the coax cable through the battery hole as well. I hope your coax cable is a bit longer than mine.

I removed the inner vent through the battery hole.it is prettry easy to do. I also undid the coax cable through the battery hole as well. I hope your coax cable is a bit longer than mine.

Having trouble getting to the coax cable screws. Any suggestions?

I dropped the glovebox and there is plenty of slack in the cable still. It looks like it goes through a grommet behind the passenger door. Is there a way to slide it through the grommet to allow enough slack so I can get to the coax cable screws without screwing something up? I have the antenna guided through the inside of the fender and all the way forward as far as it can go under the current circumstances.

Holding the mast as far forward as the cable will allow, I can just see the top screw through the battery hole. I need about another inch or two and there is enough slack in the cable to do that if I could get it to move through the grommet.

The screws are on the bottom of the mast with the heads pointing down to the ground and the threads pointing up toward the sky. Do I need to or is there even a way to turn it over inside the fender? Thanks

I wanted to say thank you to all for all of the good ideas for replacement of the power antenna on a GNX. I followed the directions given by boostmeister and with slow, careful care the job was not so bad.
The power antenna installed(AC Delco part #22048604) was purchased on ebay and rebuilt by a gentleman in Texas. The antenna was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, lubricated, assembled and tested. He uses a stainless steel wire wrapped in rubber/plastic. He has performed many rebuillds and stated with proper care(lubrication) the antenna should function for a long time. This is a job that one only wants to do once.
The biggest problem encountered was the fender louver. After removing the front knurled nut(easy to reach by hand) the louver did not want to move(it appeared stuck). The rear knurled nut(these are stainless steel so don't let fall) was then removed(grabbed onto it with small vise grips). With some gentle prodding the louver was finally removed(it appeared to be stuck due to a gasket behind the louver). From there the job is fairly straightforward(although patience is needed to reinstall the rear knurled nut).
I purchased GNX 127(had VIN verified by DougNigro and a PPI completed) last year and the car currently has about 9,000 miles and resides in Wa. state. The car was driven approx 700 miles last year and visited two car shows(two first places). I believe the car should be driven and exposed to others who are familiar to the Grand Nationals of the 80's but not to the special GNX.
I am currently in the process of completeing the official Buick GNX registry form and returning to Doug.

Again, thank you to all on this forum for the great information.

This is my first post on this forum so hope it works

I wanted to say thank you to all for all of the good ideas for replacement of the power antenna on a GNX. I followed the directions given by boostmeister and with slow, careful care the job was not so bad.
The power antenna installed(AC Delco part #22048604) was purchased on ebay and rebuilt by a gentleman in Texas. The antenna was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, lubricated, assembled and tested. He uses a stainless steel wire wrapped in rubber/plastic. He has performed many rebuillds and stated with proper care(lubrication) the antenna should function for a long time. This is a job that one only wants to do once.
The biggest problem encountered was the fender louver. After removing the front knurled nut(easy to reach by hand) the louver did not want to move(it appeared stuck). The rear knurled nut(these are stainless steel so don't let fall) was then removed(grabbed onto it with small vise grips). With some gentle prodding the louver was finally removed(it appeared to be stuck due to a gasket behind the louver). From there the job is fairly straightforward(although patience is needed to reinstall the rear knurled nut).
I purchased GNX 127(had VIN verified by DougNigro and a PPI completed) last year and the car currently has about 9,000 miles and resides in Wa. state. The car was driven approx 700 miles last year and visited two car shows(two first places). I believe the car should be driven and exposed to others who are familiar to the Grand Nationals of the 80's but not to the special GNX.
I am currently in the process of completeing the official Buick GNX registry form and returning to Doug.

Again, thank you to all on this forum for the great information.

This is my first post on this forum so hope it works

Very nice! My car has the wrong antenna (aftermarket) in it currently and I want to change it out. I too believe in driving them! I have put about 2,000 miles on mine this year already. Let's see some pics!