Filling the gap (between grille and fiberglass bumper)

Paladin

For the time being (read: until it's registered and roadworthy) I'm going to keep the fiberglass front bumper on my '86 T Type. I just finished putting all the different parts back onto it that I've gotten recently and it just about looks like a Regal again. Just curious though, with just the fiber bumper on, there's a pretty fair sized gap between the bumper and the grille which would normally be filled with reinforcement I suppose. Anybody have any tips on filling the gap? I'm pondering maybe a bit of paneling painted black just for now...

Sam

I have a glass bumper on my car but there is no unsightly gap between the grille and bumper. Maybe an adjustment on yours can achieve the same results. ;)

I was fiddling with the two bolts on top of the grille that hold it to the car, Maybe I just need to get them to go a little farther forward... I'll check it out this afternoon. I've got some pics up where the gap can sort of be seen at my website...

http://www.tothemetal.net/tindex.shtml#030429

The grille can quite go any further forward tho so maybe this is normal (not that big a gap, and it's my first Regal, never actually saw a turbo regal close up before!).

Sam

There is normally a filler on the factory bumper support (silver).The grill springs also pull the grill out a little further.Looks like your bumper may be a little hi also.I read your also waiting on an oil feed line I have plenty if you need one.

I was fiddling around with that silver piece the other day and couldn't quite figure out where the heck it was supposed to go now. I remember it being mounted to the bumper reinforcement. I saw an ordinary Regal on the way in to work today and noticed that the base of the grill just about came up flush to the bumper, so I have to adjust something on it. Bumper seems the right height, from what I recall at the side of the grille's base was smacking up against the side of the new filler panel. I'm gonna have to get in touch with Kirban again and try to figure out what is going on with that feeder tube, that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting started under the hood.

Sam

Compared to my FG bumper, yours looks like it out too far away from the grille. Mine is even with the bottom of the grille with no gap. I had made up some aluminum supports that hold my bumper to the frame. I chucked the stock steel units. Maybe the ones I made are shorter than the stockers. That seems to be the only way it can come in......for your bumper to be in closer to the bottom of the grille.

No way to make the bumper come out farther, I'm going to remove the grille again and see where I messed up. I'm pretty sure of what I need to do to get the grille flush with the bumper. You can tell from the pics that the grille isn't quite at the right angle.

Sam