Fiberglass

johnjj728

i would like to make a fiberglass box that would fit into the spare tire well. ive read about how to make fiberglass boxes and it seems relatively simple and my father has worked with fiberglass for years. Has anyone tried this before it seems like it would be a great setup and save a lot of trunk space. i would want to mount a 12 inch sub and have the box ported. the sub id want would need around 1.5-2.00 cubic feet for ported and 1 cubic foot sealed. do you think that this idea is a possibility?

it would definately work but, with a side facing sub you will encounter standing wave problems...standing waves = less bass.

Originally posted by zam70
it would definately work but, with a side facing sub you will encounter standing wave problems...standing waves = less bass.

Angling the sub slightly will take care of that if it is a problem but I have seen plenty of side facing subs that work very well. Not all trunks are created equal :D .

It doesn't have to be angled for our cars.....mine is on the other side and facing straight across. I finally got it metered and it did a 136.6 (by the kicks, Audiocontrol mic with the globe, no loading). Thats a single 12" with ~700rms (and the sub needs ~900 to reach x-max).

I wouldn't say I have cancellation.

If your just wanting ~1-2ft^3 then I would say put the box on the other side across from the spare. Not having a spare in a car, isn't something I would really recommend unless you have runflats....

A box using those configurations makes the most use of wasted space. :)

Yeah, I was VERY suprised with that (I was expecting/hoping for a 130 at best) gotta love the high excursion SQ subs...but I think that is when my ZR360 burned up....its broke now. :(

and I'm really hating driving around with no sub. :(