Favorite mods?

3" Down pipe and u-bend delete. Best mod besides an intercooler in my opinion.

Daves suggestions are the best place to start by removing the biggest exhaust restrictions

my favorite early/first mod is a fenderwell intake it sounds so cool :biggrin:

Mine is a C Body, and the C&H bodies (Sugar? Sweet???) don't have u-bend. Just the 3 mufflers..... I personally hate the sound of an uncorked V6 or 4 cyl, so for me I won't go there. I drive around 40K miles a year so having a drony exhaust would drive me bonkers....

Is the factory exhaust after the converter that bad? Just wondering.....

couldnt agree more with how crappy a 4 0r 6 can sound to the point that i am convinced the only real solution is dual remote turbos in the muffler locations so all you would hear is sweeeeet turbo whine:biggrin:

but seriously the exhaust is very restrictive- check thrashers site to see backpressure tests.

stay away from magnaflow if you dont like noise ( anybody wanna buy my magnaflow:mad: ) dynomax & borla are the 2 people say are quiet - I have a dynomax on the way so I will soon be able to tell you firsthand

I also drive 40+k a year

The C body has a muffler at the cat and then 2 in the back, do the Regals have it like that? Or other W bodies?

Funny, the Magnaflows on my friend's 8100 Avalanche sounds awesome and is very quiet. I want them on my 99 454 Suburban. They are great. A friend has them on his 03 6.0L PSD Ferd, and again, sounded wonderful. Helped his EGT's a lot.

Turbos would be fun I can say that! I guess GM had to make it restrictive to kill the drone and still be cheap....

couldnt agree more with how crappy a 4 0r 6 can sound to the point that i am convinced the only real solution is dual remote turbos in the muffler locations so all you would hear is sweeeeet turbo whine:biggrin:

but seriously the exhaust is very restrictive- check thrashers site to see backpressure tests.

stay away from magnaflow if you dont like noise ( anybody wanna buy my magnaflow:mad: ) dynomax & borla are the 2 people say are quiet - I have a dynomax on the way so I will soon be able to tell you firsthand

I also drive 40+k a year

The C body has a muffler at the cat and then 2 in the back, do the Regals have it like that? Or other W bodies?

Funny, the Magnaflows on my friend's 8100 Avalanche sounds awesome and is very quiet. I want them on my 99 454 Suburban. They are great. A friend has them on his 03 6.0L PSD Ferd, and again, sounded wonderful. Helped his EGT's a lot.

Turbos would be fun I can say that! I guess GM had to make it restrictive to kill the drone and still be cheap....

regal is the only L67 powered car that got a single muffler

they all got a resonator after the cat

gtp ,ssei ,riviera , park ave ultra ,impala ss all got duals so regals are the most strangulated bastages of the bunch

I believe you on the magnaflows sounding great behind a v8 - they are enhancing a good sound , on a six they are amplifying a bad sound:mad:

I had wondered how mine would do if I pulled the middle single muffler out and let the two resonators do the rest, but my concern is noise, if those resonators are setup only for specific freq range, then it might sound bad. I hate to hack up a solid reliable factory exhaust too.

Are high flow cats worth much over the stockers in most cases?

regal is the only L67 powered car that got a single muffler

they all got a resonator after the cat

gtp ,ssei ,riviera , park ave ultra ,impala ss all got duals so regals are the most strangulated bastages of the bunch

I believe you on the magnaflows sounding great behind a v8 - they are enhancing a good sound , on a six they are amplifying a bad sound:mad:

I had wondered how mine would do if I pulled the middle single muffler out and let the two resonators do the rest, but my concern is noise, if those resonators are setup only for specific freq range, then it might sound bad. I hate to hack up a solid reliable factory exhaust too.

Are high flow cats worth much over the stockers in most cases?

a lot of people delete the resonator (right after the cat) and leave the muffler/mufflers in place. as long as you leave the factory mufflers there is supposed to be little change in tone.

the factory cat outflows most of the "high flow" cats on the market and doesnt throw codes like the high flows tend to

Dave Wild who posted above runs low 12's through a factory cat , him & I are both moderators over on the regal gs forum

the factory restrictions largest restrictions in approx order are:

u bend if present

front exhaust manifold

downpipe

resonator

muffler if single

catback tubing if single

My old series I 3800 "C" front manifold wan't bad for flow at all, and had a 2.3" pipe to feed the rear manifold to dump into the cat. Anyone ever look back to those for improved flow? Almost positive same port spacing.

a lot of people delete the resonator (right after the cat) and leave the muffler/mufflers in place. as long as you leave the factory mufflers there is supposed to be little change in tone.

the factory cat outflows most of the "high flow" cats on the market and doesnt throw codes like the high flows tend to

Dave Wild who posted above runs low 12's through a factory cat , him & I are both moderators over on the regal gs forum

the factory restrictions largest restrictions in approx order are:

u bend if present

front exhaust manifold

downpipe

resonator

muffler if single

catback tubing if single

different , series 2&3 are equal port spacing
series 1 is not equal

kind of like this:

/ / / or series 1 / / /

Wish I had the car still, I have my 91 away years ago, might have to try to find one and see if I can make it work. I always felt the rear manifold at the bottleneck was the real exhaust problem. At least on my 91....

interesting - you going to try it ?