Fathful Pursuit '69 Electra GSX

electragsx

I just signed up for turbo-Buick because we went twin turbo last December. We are using a specially built 430. Turbonetics P-72s, twin intercoolers, wastegates, blow-off valves. The setup is remote and turbos are above the rear axle. We still need lots of work!

Twin turbo what? Buick powerplant? If not, you might want to repost in the appropriate forum. If so, pics plz. :biggrin: Either way, welcome to the site. :)

Post pics! Maybe the mods will move this to the lounge.

Its a Buick

The car is a 1969 Buick Electra 225 Custom Sport Coupe, originally sold by DeFeo Buick in New Jersey. I purchased the car in Coney Island, on Neptune Avenue in 1978. She saw action in Brooklyn until 1982 and did not run again under her own power until 2004.

It was unvieled by Major General Michael Hall, USAF, retired at a 2004 ceremony that dedicated the Buick to the Tuskegee Airmen. The car has toured with the Tuskegee Airmen, Inc., has run 1/4s and SOLO II. Look us up on YOUTUBE "Blue Dream Buick" 12.99 @ 103 mph is the best so far. Our 60' sucks!

Faithful Pursuit was rebuilt as a long distance high speed racecar.
Her specially built 5 bar 4130 chromoly suspension, Carrerra 7 valve shocks, NASCAR CUP suspension, 32 Gal. JAZ, Performance Ford Co. Nodular, Daytona Support, 9" 2.50:1 rear and GV OD are some of her goodies for sustained high speed. Pirelli P-ZERO 335/35/17 on PS Engineering rims help as well.

The Buick 430 was built by Scotty Guadagno, who has built Buicks that are in the 7s in the quarter. He was Pat Musi's dyno man in 'Jersey and moved to Shady Hills Florida where he opened Scotty's Racing Technologies (SRT). Scotty claimed to have had run enough engines through his dyno to add up to 1,000,000 HP!

Our little 430 was mild by the specs and did something that he had not seen before. First, it put our more power than a low compression turbo cammed motor should, about 425 HP @ zero boost. Second, it took a really long time to get up to operating temp. Third, on the third or fourth dyno pull I could keep my thumb on the exhaust runner as the motor was running.

The Buick 400/430/455 have been known to have a few weaknesses, some of which are releived by the use of an exhaust driven turbo-supercharger and made worse by a belt driven supercharger. The stress associated with a high CR motor or a blower can kill poorly designed motors. Even then, its just a matter of time. The original specification for the Faithful Pursuit, 1969 Buick Electra GSX, called for a Paxton. This was back in 1982 when Turbos in auto applications were not well understood.

We knew that heat was the major enemy. If it got to the pistons, then rod failure would occur, then bottom end. (Despite what you may have heard!)
After 3 years of development the motor was finally installed on 24 December 2007.

Swain Technologies, near Rochester, New York, specializes in exotic thermal coatings. I'm an engineer for a glass company, our ceramic products are used in 65% of the worlds cars for catylytic converters. Ceramics with zirconia and other things add up to some pretty sophisticated heat management.

Shaw Racing built the 430 heads. Two sets were magnafluxed, prepped, filled with the good stuff, including Chevy INCONEL exhaust valves. Jake disssembled them and I sent them to Swain for the ceramic coatings. Valve Faces, Combustion Chapmbers, Valve Springs, Intake manifold, exhaust ports.

The heads were reassembled, packed and shipped with a set of roller rockers for the Big Buick, 1.6.

Nuf for now,

BqUICK

Photos@ BCA Performance Forum

How do you post photos here? I do have some on the BCA site. Go to performance forum or YOUTUBE.

Pronto,

I like the Silver T-Type! Your photo link and search did not lead me to photos. As you know, the '87 is a killer design; I miss my '87 GN! Happy New Year!

God Speed,

Charlief1,

Look at Antique Automobile Club of America for photos. Search "SRT Ceramic" for Ceramic 430 Turbo engine dyno and "Electra GSX" for exterior shots. By the way, her ventiports are functional. With her dual electric fans on and hood closed, you can feel her breathe.

Thanks. That link is to a little video of my car. I just tried it and it worked ok.

Go to photobucket and sign up, post your pics and when you post here at the botom of the post you will find a place for url pics to post.

Machuga Chassis Works

Worked with Dave Machuga to design & fab ductwork for the intercoolers. The intakes will go from Lexan quarter windows, behind the doors, to the I-Coolers @ the rear firewall, where the rear seats were. We had 4 5 point racing seats, even with the 7pt cage. The '69 was wide enough to do it. We took out the rear hoop to install the duct work, we built a "200 mph" Safety Cage that will be welded to the frame when the turbo installation is done. We still need to find two 6" neck NACA type intake scoops. The air will blow through the I-CLRs & exhaust through the rear wheel tubs. We are trying to induce a low pressure region at the rear axle, where the turbos are located, so we can cool the intake charge in our piping as well as around the turbos.

Some of you old school guys may know about Tom Wagner and his 11 second Black '69 Wildcat. He says the rear ends of the big cars start to unload @ about 135mph. The big parachute like bumper & other "aerodynamically unclean" stuff causes a high pressure region we must clean up. More fun and games!

God Speed!

Racing Legend has Heart Attack

Local racing legend, #78, and Faithful Pursuit designer, David Machuga, suffered a major heart attack on Tuesday.

Dave was rushed into the Arnot Ogden Medical Center where he received triple bypass surgery that day.

Please offer your prayers for his recovery!

God Speed,

I have no idea hat this car is all about, but seems like a great project!

Kinda goofy colours on that pic, or am I seeing things?

Hey, I mill and sinter Zirconia (Yttrium stabilized ZrO2) fun stuff.

Is there a website with more info on this car? I remember reading about it many years ago either linking to a site with info or perhaps off V8 Buick.com

Prayers lifted up too for Mr. Machunga.

New Photo of David Machuga

:cool: David Machuga has been building and racing cars since 1972. His wife, Nancy and I talked about Dave's racing at the old Shangrala raceway in Tioga, NY, now long gone.

Dave raced and won at tracks like Tioga, Blackrock, Pocono Raceway, Oswego, and Owego. He is a racer's racer with over 100 trophies.

Nancy says Dave is still in ICU but doing better. We will continue to pray for his complete recovery. :smile: