FAST b2b vs XFI vs Accel DFI vs BigStuff

So boost control is working now on Bigstuff3 and XFI? What type control do you have? Launch, rpm based or time based? Also anyone on this forum actively using it?

Ricky Trussell said:
So boost control is working now on Bigstuff3 and XFI? What type control do you have? Launch, rpm based or time based? Also anyone on this forum actively using it?

The BS3 will control boost one of two ways PWM or Staged. In PWM mode it has table for duty cycle based on mph or rpm and will run closed loop with a desired boost table. In staged mode it will control 3 stages in an on/off style using solenoids and knobs. There is also a minimum TPS & RPM threshold in the parameters along with setting that can be adjusted on how aggressive it tries to control the boost in closed loop PWM mode.

The XFI simply controls it PWM with a table, TPS vs. MPH. You set the duty cycle but it is not closed loop so you will need to know the spring in your wastegate and experiment until you achieve your desired boost levels.

InjectConnect said:
The BS3 will control boost one of two ways PWM or Staged. In PWM mode it has table for duty cycle based on mph or rpm and will run closed loop with a desired boost table. In staged mode it will control 3 stages in an on/off style using solenoids and knobs. There is also a minimum TPS & RPM threshold in the parameters along with setting that can be adjusted on how aggressive it tries to control the boost in closed loop PWM mode.

The XFI simply controls it PWM with a table, TPS vs. MPH. You set the duty cycle but it is not closed loop so you will need to know the spring in your wastegate and experiment until you achieve your desired boost levels.

For classes that will not allow you to run an electronic boost control with the BS3 work well as a work around???

InjectConnect said:
Some race cars guys don't take the time to tune them properly for anything other than WOT.

Still it is a tuning issue not a hardware issue as some seem to believe. Some combinations, specifically ones with wild cams, there is no way to idle it cold with out it smoking, but just try and make it run with a OE engine management system, not going to happen.

What time?, it's real time tuning, all you would need to do is dither the appropriate settings.

So you're saying, that a EFI'd Buick, has to smoke during warm up, when a N/A car doesn't?. There are lots of cars running as big if not bigger cams then the Buicks, that don't smoke during warm-up.

The topic is aftermarket ecms, this dodging back to oems, isn't even part of the conversation.

LinearX said:
Most, though, are cars at the track so they don't worry about fuel mileage, cold start, idle, etc. They're just shooting at the target at the end of the track with no regard for the amenities that make a car fun to drive other than at WOT.

Well, when you heavily fuel a motor to get it to run when cold, guess what?. You wind up with alot of *silty* type carbon in the head/ piston dome/ plug. Guess what happens to this light slitly type of carbon when yo stand on it. Yep, it glows cherry red, and gets spit out the tail pipe. Hmm, guess what glowing hot cherry red little fibers of carbon, are great for... Preignition. Might just be cursory, and while each event might not kill the engine, they do contribute to things, just not being *right*.

In doubt?, pull some plugs on a just started *smoker*, and look at them really close.

If the ecms are race only, then why offer TCC, and A/C stuff?.

I've never seen so many people want to stay at status quo, rather then ask guestions, and want better....

bruce said:
What time?, it's real time tuning, all you would need to do is dither the appropriate settings.

So you're saying, that a EFI'd Buick, has to smoke during warm up, when a N/A car doesn't?. There are lots of cars running as big if not bigger cams then the Buicks, that don't smoke during warm-up.

The topic is aftermarket ecms, this dodging back to oems, isn't even part of the conversation.

Yes your right it takes no time at all to fix.

I never said EFI'd Buick or N/A, I said some combinations, specifically ones with wild cams, This is a generalized statement about engine combinations that could apply to a turbo buicks but we normaly don't run big cams, I have never had a TB with a smoking warm-up problem.

Sorry about the oems comment, I know that is a soft spot. :rolleyes:

bruce said:
Well, when you heavily fuel a motor to get it to run when cold, guess what?. You wind up with alot of *silty* type carbon in the head/ piston dome/ plug. Guess what happens to this light slitly type of carbon when yo stand on it. Yep, it glows cherry red, and gets spit out the tail pipe. Hmm, guess what glowing hot cherry red little fibers of carbon, are great for... Preignition. Might just be cursory, and while each event might not kill the engine, they do contribute to things, just not being *right*.

In doubt?, pull some plugs on a just started *smoker*, and look at them really close.

If the ecms are race only, then why offer TCC, and A/C stuff?.

I've never seen so many people want to stay at status quo, rather then ask guestions, and want better....

As many cars as I've seen at the track that aren't tuned for proper idle without huffing some black smoke, I've yet to see one suffer any ill effects of preignition of the silty carbon that is built up on any of the internal parts. I'm not saying that what is being done is correct, but until they start to break parts from that, I doubt the methods will change.

You never head me say the ECMs are race only, but that is what they primarily get used for. TCC, A/C, etc are all there in the even that someone wants to use it for something other than on the track. I've never seen anyone use it, though, but that doesn't mean that it's not done.

Its all in the tune and how long you want to spend on it. Doesn't matter what aftermarket ecu you use, if the fueling is not set right you will have lots to deal with.

LinearX said:
As many cars as I've seen at the track that aren't tuned for proper idle without huffing some black smoke, I've yet to see one suffer any ill effects of preignition of the silty carbon that is built up on any of the internal parts. I'm not saying that what is being done is correct, but until they start to break parts from that, I doubt the methods will change.

That's not to say that it doesn't lead to problems, now is it?.
Preignition is a nasty animal.

norbs said:
Its all in the tune and how long you want to spend on it. Doesn't matter what aftermarket ecu you use, if the fueling is not set right you will have lots to deal with.

Sorry, but no.
If you look at my original statement:

* So you're saying, that a EFI'd Buick, has to smoke during warm up, when a N/A car doesn't?. There are lots of cars running as big if not bigger cams then the Buicks, that don't smoke during warm-up.*

It's in reference to the cold start routines, and there is a huge difference from one ecm to another in how they handle that. While to the casual eye all you might see is a PW, and timing, it's how they correlate to CTS, IAT/MAT, time run, IAC, commanded idle speed, to get it right. So it becomes a matter of strategy, and HOW it's executed in the code.

Thanks for the brillance of *if the fueling is not set right you will have lots to deal with*, I just can't think of anything less obvious then that.

bruce said:
That's not to say that it doesn't lead to problems, now is it?.
Preignition is a nasty animal.

Indeed, preignition is a nasty animal. I, however, have never seen an issue where preignition was caused by the fine silt of carbon that may build up on internal parts. That doesn't mean that it's not an issue or won't become one as I am not the end-all, be-all when it comes to tuning.

Reading the post about the avaliable features, do any of the aftermarket companies plan on offering rev limiter functions for DIS? I am getting my engine together and I am trying to decide on what type of ignition system I want to use.

Don't think you want to have a two step with the DIS ignition.. Too many things could go wrong and you'll be beating your botttom end apart..