Fast 93/alky pass

I counted along as I watched & came up with 7.0x? Probably should have used a stopwatch. Nice run Brian.

I gave up the 1/4 mile an went Hwy set-up aka Handling....Straight lines at 100mph + got boring
(i have the same power output as the Dragracers just less hooking from dead stop)
GN's only came with v-6's. i understand the haters.
By the read of most people, In 10 years this forum will be all Hybird...lol

i love the v6's i honestly do!! i feel that the ls based engines are great also!! but i do think our turbo cars should stay turbo 6's destroy and cut something else a n/a one or something so few of these special turbo gems why choppem up. ls engines are the future cant beat technology!! but we have been spanking v8's up for along long long long time... about time they start making something to go against these little 6's..lol..

GN's only came with v-6's. i understand the haters.
By the read of most people, In 10 years this forum will be all Hybird...lol

I figure in 10 years this board will be filled with WTB threads for stock turbo Buick parts because people will be trying to convert the cars back to what they should be.

Take care, Kip

Boost, rpm, timing, and air temp out the back of 3rd. Boost hit 26 for one frame. Averaged to about 25 through 3rd. 20-21*

Attachments

• image-2820509109.jpg
    image-2820509109.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 134
8-12psi. Less is better. Hard to control it. If you leave high It ramps too fast and too little it's lazy. Less is better though. Using an External with a controller is a huge advantage with the ramp in. You can leave higher and ramp slower to not overwhelm it.

Dang, I'm glad you said that. My coaching staff has been telling me to really launch it hard and I took them at their word Car went into the high 1.40's for 60' but was not near where it should have been in the first half of the track. Will start at the 8# level and see what works.

Thanks.

Dang, I'm glad you said that. My coaching staff has been telling me to really launch it hard and I took them at their word Car went into the high 1.40's for 60' but was not near where it should have been in the first half of the track. Will start at the 8# level and see what works.

Thanks.
exactly. you may even need less than that

I would say he was booted out for not having a license, so he went 9's

Bryan

Quik Six said:

Thanks.

Some cars need to hit the tires hard. All depends on how much movement is in the rear and how much instant center you have.
My silver car had all poly bushings and all hr stuff in the back, stock instant center settings. If I launched it under 3500 it would spin and never hook. If I launched at 4000+ it stuck the tires and all was good.
Removed the poly bushings and added buckets to the top arms to adjust instant center. Now the car likes to a little less hit on the launch. Both instances are with slicks. The first liked 16 psi in the tires, the second setup likes 13 psi. You will have to figure out what your car likes. Adjustable front and rear shocks help a ton too.

I had a quick question on those A/F #s. Are you running two M10 nozzles, 1 M10 and 1 M15? Do you estimate your meth content at 20-25%? I made some lambda tables by meth content to try and get a better idea of what my target A/F should be for high 9s/140mph.

Not sure how to exactly calculate the meth%. Using the sprayed flow gives a very high meth% if you compare to the lb/hr from the injectors so you wouldn't use that # to look up the a/fs on the table. But making some quick guesses and comparing to experience/recommendations.... I'd say for a single nozzle in a car running in the mid 11s shooting for a gas a/f of 11.76-11.96 the 15% meth a/f range is 10.76-10.95. For the dual nozzle faster cars shooting for a gas a/f of 11.57-11.76 the corresponding a/fs for 20% meth would be 10.26-10.43. This corresponds to your posted 10.2-10.3 a/f on these runs.

The table is attached.

meth af.jpg

Oh yeah, congrats on the runs. Only seems like there are a handful of people currently trying to get those #s on 93 and alky. My work has been busy but should be able to get some track time soon. Still working on some upgrades too. It never ends.

Also, a quick comment/question about the launches. Having the electronic boost controller combined with an ignition based 2 step, seems like lots of variables to play with. Lets say my converter likes 3800 on the launch..... I can set the 2 step rpm at 3800 and the launch boost at 8psi. To hit harder I can change the launch boost to 10psi. On the other hand I can increase the 2 step rpm to 3900 and keep the launch boost at 8psi to hit harder. I'm not an expert at this but it seems like once I find my sweet spot on the converter I can leave the 2 step rpm alone and just play with the launch boost setting to adjust for the track conditions. Haven't really used the 2 step rpm much but it does seem like it would you better control when combined with the electronic boost controller launch boost setting vs just using the electronic boost controller alone. Maybe someone has some comments on this.

murphster said:
I had a quick question on those A/F #s. Are you running two M10 nozzles, 1 M10 and 1 M15? Do you estimate your meth content at 20-25%? I made some lambda tables by meth content to try and get a better idea of what my target A/F should be for high 9s/140mph.

Not sure how to exactly calculate the meth%. Using the sprayed flow gives a very high meth% if you compare to the lb/hr from the injectors so you wouldn't use that # to look up the a/fs on the table. But making some quick guesses and comparing to experience/recommendations.... I'd say for a single nozzle in a car running in the mid 11s shooting for a gas a/f of 11.76-11.96 the 15% meth a/f range is 10.76-10.95. For the dual nozzle faster cars shooting for a gas a/f of 11.57-11.76 the corresponding a/fs for 20% meth would be 10.26-10.43. This corresponds to your posted 10.2-10.3 a/f on these runs.

The table is attached.

The meth % is less than 12%. I'm feeding 775-800hp worth of fuel combined. I had the controller on 6 with 25psi and 20gph of nozzle. That was a very safe target with the charge air temp I saw and the 20* of verified timing. I could have ran 21* that day. I
Also could have targeted 10.4:1 and been okay and picked up about 1mph.

murphster said:
Oh yeah, congrats on the runs. Only seems like there are a handful of people currently trying to get those #s on 93 and alky. My work has been busy but should be able to get some track time soon. Still working on some upgrades too. It never ends.

Also, a quick comment/question about the launches. Having the electronic boost controller combined with an ignition based 2 step, seems like lots of variables to play with. Lets say my converter likes 3800 on the launch..... I can set the 2 step rpm at 3800 and the launch boost at 8psi. To hit harder I can change the launch boost to 10psi. On the other hand I can increase the 2 step rpm to 3900 and keep the launch boost at 8psi to hit harder. I'm not an expert at this but it seems like once I find my sweet spot on the converter I can leave the 2 step rpm alone and just play with the launch boost setting to adjust for the track conditions. Haven't really used the 2 step rpm much but it does seem like it would you better control when combined with the electronic boost controller launch boost setting vs just using the electronic boost controller alone. Maybe someone has some comments on this.

On launching a car and getting the most typically you need the rpm to into the power band asap and then ramp the boost in to have more consistent 60' times. My engine isnt making dick for power at 4000/10psi. It's what happens after you start moving that will determine if the car is going to hook. It's hard to control the ramp in without electronics and really hone in the 60'. If you leave to low it will be lazy. Too hard it will spin. With electronics you can have variables on launch rpm/boost and still get decent results just about everytime launching.

Curious... do you run a knock sensor? Or do you use other means (plug reading)?

BEATAV8 said:
Curious... do you run a knock sensor? Or do you use other means (plug reading)?

The knock sensor is plugged in. I never logged any detonation. Ive been running this tune for 8 months. I checked plugs when I dialed it in. There is no room for any detonation or lean out at this level. The engine will be junk in 3 seconds. All tuning is based on past experience with these. I know what targets/timing to run for a given inlet temp at a given hp. I spray less alky and run much richer targets than most would think.

On launching a car and getting the most typically you need the rpm to into the power band asap and then ramp the boost in to have more consistent 60' times. My engine isnt making dick for power at 4000/10psi. It's what happens after you start moving that will determine if the car is going to hook. It's hard to control the ramp in without electronics and really hone in the 60'. If you leave to low it will be lazy. Too hard it will spin. With electronics you can have variables on launch rpm/boost and still get decent results just about everytime launching.

I've had similar experience where leaving too soft its a dog and too hard it spins. As I left harder the rpm was higher and the boost was probably coming in too hard leading to spinning. I'll take your advice and try some of the ramps to control it as I add more launch boost on the controller. Of course, having a light wastegate spring with CO2 let's you control that ramp. Definitely something I want to work on this year on the drag radials. Also need to finish the suspension components to make sure they are up to the task.

As far as the meth%, seems like you could start running into an octane issue if you use too little meth, even if the air temp is good. Are you using an alkycontrol PAC? In my experience even with the controller turned down it will still hit full output once you get past 20+ psi. That meth% seems like single nozzle amounts, no?

I want my car to go down the track just like that! LOL Very impressive and smooth videos!!! Thanks for the post. Im going with 9.90s

Running 9's 1 handed like a Boss LOL