Factory Replacement Radios Question

airgrabber

Looking to upgrade my 87 with a GM factory AM/FM with CD. What year and what type of cars are these found in? I have some free time to hit some junkyards and figured I could find one more reasonable that way. Looking for the one that has the correct looking face color or something close. Also anyone have the part number for the GM jumper to make all this work? Thanks for any and all help.

The correct size of radio was used in just about every model of Buick made from 1984-1988. Every division of GM more or less had their own radios and the only real difference was the details on the front of the radio. Buicks usually have a chrome stripe around the perimeter where as Chevies and Pontiacs were all black.Everyone had different knobs too. If it looks like it will fit in the hole ,than it will. I usually find the 5 band equalizers in Riviera's and Park Aves. Becarefull, some of the later 80's used a 21 pin connector as compared to the old 12 pins. Also, these are 20 year old radios and probally dont work or sound the best.

The CD's were found in 91-93 vintage S-10 and Blazer/Jimmy

The 12 pin to 21 pin adapter is GM part number 16140051

Mine came from 99 Tahoe. Whichever one you choose make sure there is fan
in rear. Do the search this has been discussed many times. I had to modify
brackets and buy wiring adapters.

I installed a CD from a 97 Lumina into an 87 GN. With the wire harness adapter the wiring was straight forward, but I had to redrill new holes in the radio mount plates. The factory faceplate still fits nicely and the install looks like it came from the factory. Make sure that the radio you buy is not locked.

if ya want i'll be sellin mine it is concert stereo correct for our cars, just upgraded pm me and i'll quote ya a price. :wink:

Best fitting GM radio in GN...

The nicest and best fitting AM FM c/d radios are the ones from'92 Buick Roadmasters...There might be other GM radios that fit nice, but this one looks factory installed and has cd's too...You just need an adapter to go from the 12 to 21 pin conector ( part# 16140051) made by GM, and that's it!
I'm including pictures of the radio installed in a GN and another of the adapter you'll need...

Claude ;)

P.S: IF SOMEONE WANTS A RADIO LIKE THE ONE PICTURED, A FRIEND OF MINE HAS ONE FOR SALE, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HE WANTS FOR IT...BUT LET ME KNOW, AND I'LL ASK HIM...

e-mail: toofastforyou@sympatico.ca