Factory Pinstripe - need a little help

Swt_86

My body man and I are having a difference of opinion on just what the pinstripe looked like (9 months ago :rolleyes: ) when he started on the car. Could somebody snap a close up of the front of the pinstriping just above the side marker lamp? I'm saying the two lines join, he is saying they just end. Also, is the pinstripe above or below the clear from the factory? Thanks.

May be way wrong

But, I do not remember any "factory" pinstripping or clearcoat on these cars. If your car has them they would have been installed by dealer I think!

Grumpy said:
hmmmm Buicks had a clearcoat :confused:
Yes, '87s were cleared. First year for this from GM, after lacquer. It's a scratch-coat, but it's there.

sgrim said:
But, I do not remember any "factory" pinstripping or clearcoat on these cars. If your car has them they would have been installed by dealer I think!
'87 Turbo Ts were available with pinstriping. My white Limited, along with a friend's white T, have a red pinstripe above the clearcoat. The stripes meet at the front of the car.

I won't be near mine for a couple of weeks, so I can't post a pic. Someone else probably will, though.

QuickWrench said:
Yes, '87s were cleared. First year for this from GM, after lacquer. It's a scratch-coat, but it's there.

It wasn't the base coat, clear coat as used on other vehicles. If it was there would be the letters BC/CC with the paint codes on the SPID label. The factory stripes were applied after the paint. Since it is a repaint I dont think it makes a difference if the clear was over the stripes. But than if you are argueing over stripe details than you already have an idea how you want it done.

'87 Turbo Ts were available with pinstriping. My white Limited, along with a friend's white T, have a red pinstripe above the clearcoat. The stripes meet at the front of the car.

That is what I have been telling the guy - now if I can only get a clear picture from someone!

Since mine is an '86 it may not have had clearcoated from the factory. It did have a clearcoat but could have been applied by the dealer as the paint was so bad on the car from the factory that he repainted damn near the whole car after it came in. I'll check for the BC/CC code to make sure. The pinstripe did come from the factory - not the dealer. Code 11A body side stripe-white $45.00. I still have the window sticker. :)

Thanks to all for the replies - now if I can just get that picture. LOL - and turbofish38, you are right, I do have a good idea of how I want it - just like it was in '86 when I picked up - except for the terrible laquer paint.

its turbo time said:

Hey dude, I dont think those are factory stripes. The only reason I say that is your T-Type and Regal nameplates are not where they are supposed to be. They are down to low on the body. And it looks like those are dealer installed body side moldings as they look like the metal type held on with rivets. The point I am trying to make is how do you know those are factory stripes? Maybe they were installed by the dealer or a previous owner. The factory RPO code for the accent stripe is D90, check your SPID label. I dont recall ever seeing factory accent stripes on a T-Type. If you look in the order book it was not an available option on a 86 T-type.

I agree. I don't think there were pinstripes. Possibly a dealer may have installed them. Definitely, riveted side mouldings were not installed by GM Also, I've never seen a Regal with original paint that wasn't lacquer. GM didn't use clear lacquer over the color coat.

I got a bunch of paperwork with the car and I saw some info about one of his cars getting wrecked but it didn't look like it was talking about my car but I guess it was. That sucks I was going to try and sell some of the stuff off the car but I guess now it's pretty much worthless if the rubber molding isn't the same and the logos are in a different spot.