External Oil Pumps.

Cheeseburger

I need an external wet sump oil pump with brackets to finish my build, any one have one?
For Stage II front cover.
Sent my Weaver 3 stage pump to a known engine builder to be converted 7 months ago and ...........nothing.........
I am thinking Peterson Wet/Vac oil pump.
T.I.A.

Mike,

I'm curious, What kind of conversion is necessary to use a 3 stage dry sump pump in a wet sump application?

Couldn't you draw oil out of the oil pan with the first stage and use the 2nd and 3rd stage for vacuum?

Those Peterson Wide-Vac pumps look nice but spend big!! I think Bob Armstrong is using one of these.

Dave

weaver pumps

I only have several 4 stage pumps and I wanted to do the same thing and send one off to have converted to a 2 stage. 1 for oil and 1 for vac. Ron

Mike,

I'm curious, What kind of conversion is necessary to use a 3 stage dry sump pump in a wet sump application?

Couldn't you draw oil out of the oil pan with the first stage and use the 2nd and 3rd stage for vacuum?

Those Peterson Wide-Vac pumps look nice but spend big!! I think Bob Armstrong is using one of these.

Dave

You need to change the shaft length.
I am not sure on drawing vacuum on two stages of the pump, i do know that the 2nd stage has been used to scavange oil from the turbo.

Spend big??? Everything cost $1000 when you are building a stage II motor with the RIGHT parts!

Mike.

Mike,

You're exactly right, $1000 bucks ain't nuthin when it comes to Stage 2 projects. What the heck, its only money!!!

Why don't you call Peterson and see if they will cut us a deal on 2 of these pumps?

Dave

Dave, i will look into it on Tuesday.
I am really doing my best to holdoff on what is happening with my 3 stage pump, i am giving it 4 more weeks for a TOTAL of over 8 months waiting. After that, well ............:mad:

Guys,

I have a brand new in the box Peterson external wet/vac pump.

I would be open to selling it if interested? (didnt use it on my current build)

Shoot me an e-mail direct if interested. Sorry, just have 1 of them :)

Thx

External Oil Pump

Mike and Dave, I am currently using the Peterson Bear-Claw wet sump external pump (pass. side mount) and Moroso vacuum pump (driver side mount) on my Stage II car. I also added an Accusump system for pre-oiling and extra pressure at the end of the 1/4 mile during shutdown.

WhiteT-I maybe interested in your wet/vac pump if these guys pass on it, how much? Any pics?

Class rules - That makes alot of sense. If the powers at large will alow an external wet pump why not allow an external dry sump. I don't guess I will get to do any class racing with my street car because with what it costs to build this stage 2 project it is deffinately going to have a dry sump hanging off the side.

Hey 49-Blues,

Dave is first in line for it.. but I am in the middle of taking a look at it again and possibly using it.

Thx!

Class rules - That makes alot of sense. If the powers at large will alow an external wet pump why not allow an external dry sump. I don't guess I will get to do any class racing with my street car because with what it costs to build this stage 2 project it is deffinately going to have a dry sump hanging off the side.

Maybe the powers that be don't have a drysump so they don't want anyone else having one to show them up. Silly reason, I know.

I have a racing buddy with an early Camaro. He is the type of person that will go to almost any extreme to make sure his car is the king of the track. A while back he purchased a Reher Morrison BBC. It did haul the mail. After 25 to 30 runs, it spun a rod bearing. He had ordered the engine model that included a wet sump pan. Original cost, $24,000 plus freight. The next upgrade model included a drysump setup. He cheaped out and got the wetsump. So what caused the rod bearing failure? He and some of his close friends were coming up with all kinds of reasons why the engine builder caused the failure. It then came out that he had been discussing a problem with his oil pressure with a mutual friend of mine. He was experiencing 0 (yes, that's zero) oil pressure on his gauge on de-accel, after the finish line. This is on the 1/8 mile, not the 1/4. Anyone with any sense would realize that you're going to lose an engine with that going on. Those of us with any mechanical sense realize that a dry sump system would have saved that very expensive engine.

Now. In order to keep racing cheap for everyone, the rules say 'no drysump'. How cheap is the racing for the fella that loses his engine because of a stupid, avoidable oiling short coming?

My friend with the Camaro is rebuilding the engine and is having another buddy modify the wetsump pan to fix the oiling problem. They hope anyway. Some people can be so thick headed. I guess it's the gambler in their blood. With all the money their spending to rebuild this engine after only 30 runs, they could have bought 4 or more drysump systems.

The kicker is, if you go to the Reher Morrison's website and check out their tech info page, there are at least 3 different articles stressing the importance of using a drysump system at a certain performance level.

Drysump.

Attachments

• oil pump_resize.jpg
    oil pump_resize.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,325
  • IMGP0792rs.jpg
    IMGP0792rs.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,817