Exhaust manifold removal

belsie

Looks like I need to remove the stock manifolds to chase a leak, any tricks or simple process to follow? Taking front wheels off help in getting to the bolts? After removed any suggestions on improving and are gaskets worth using? As always any advice and assistance are appreciated.....................

The first time is a royal PIA because of all the stupid studs sticking out.

First get under the car and remove the crossover bolts. Do it CAREFULLY or you'll have to add ''removing broken bolts' to the list.

On the DS, just run the bolts out and lift from the top. Look between 3 and 5 and you just found your leak.

Also, carbon tracks on the flange will show if it's leaking there too. A header gasket will indicate the headers been off before.

While you've got it apart cut off all those stupid studs except the front three for the ALT bracket and dipstick. (or get new fasteners).

The next time will be much easier.

I just finished doing this... get yourself some penetrating spray and apply liberally, and let sit for a bit before starting.

The crossover pipe isn't that bad. You'll spend more time lifting the car so you can get under it.

The studs on the head
/header are 14mm, but you will need a deep socket given how long their ends are. You'll also need a deep 13mm to remove the nut securing accessories to the bolt in several places.

I believe the actual upper header bolts have slightly longer studs than their bottom counterparts. Just compare them as you take them off to make sure they go back in the right spots.

I didn’t need to remove the wheels, but I already had the AC shield, plug wires, and down pipe out of the way which helped. A ratchet with a break over head and maybe a short and long extention will help more than anything. That type of ratchet is usually longer too, which will give you the leverage to break them loose.

As far as the exhaust gasket, the general concensus is not to use them. I had one person tell me it could actually do more harm than good. However if you have the crack welded it should be bolted to something to keep the heat from warping the header.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thank you gentlemen !! How do I perform the smoke test that has been suggested?

Buy a smoke machine. Evap smoke machine. I got one on ebay. Its made out of a paint can, but it works just fine. You can use it to chase vaccum leaks, etc too.

Put a wet vacuum in exhaust. Make sure vacuum is clean,so your not blowing debris in your engine. Get a water spray bottle and put some dish soap in it . Turn on vacuum and spray around the exhaust. Will bubble by any leaks.