Exhaust Manifold Gaskets? what gasket!!!!!!!!!

Santos Moreno

I took out the exhaust manifolds to weld what I believe was a hair line crack...to my surprise the drivers side one was in pretty bad shape (the one pipe closest to the firewall was almost completely cracked all the way around). After welding a strip of 1/16 steel around it and filling all the cracks I discovered that there were no EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS. The previous owner told me the motor was completely stock with the usual upgrades (gas pump, maf, map and so forth) THE questions that I have is this normal? or somebody forgot to install the exhaust manifold gaskets? I am installing bigger downpipe, hooker exhaust system, injectors, turbo, gas regulator, chip, and I dont want to go back to install, or take out the EM GASKETS

You can probably find this through the search function, but from the factory there were no gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and heads. Metal-to-metal.

Most people apply a thin film of ultra-copper RTV to the flanges when reinstalling the manifolds. This will seal any small leaks due to surface imperfections. If the flanges are warped, you will need to get them milled back to flat.

If you want to use gaskets, don't use the cheap ones you get at the parts store. They will blow out on our cars. Get the Remflex gaskets, do a search on this site to find out where to get them. Most people who have installed the Remflex gaskets have like them.

Good luck,

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

You can probably find this through the search function, but from the factory there were no gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and heads. Metal-to-metal.

Most people apply a thin film of ultra-copper RTV to the flanges when reinstalling the manifolds. This will seal any small leaks due to surface imperfections. If the flanges are warped, you will need to get them milled back to flat.

If you want to use gaskets, don't use the cheap ones you get at the parts store. They will blow out on our cars. Get the Remflex gaskets, do a search on this site to find out where to get them. Most people who have installed the Remflex gaskets have like them.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike, No offense... But RTV will not hold. The temp coming from the ports and that pressure from the exhaust will just blow out. When from the factory, everything was true and flush.

I agree and would use REMFLEX. Remflex are made from graphite and designed to compress and seal; stopping all the manifold/header leaks. These are so good of a gasket that NHRA funny cars run them. Now you are in luck. If you contact Mark at TR Customs, he stocks them. And to top it off, you the cheapest you will find around. He even has them for your 3 bolt flange.

All I can say about the ultra-copper is what I and others have personally experienced... Many including myself have had good luck with it. I was skeptical when I first heard of using it, but in my experience it can work well. Keeping in mind that all it does is fill in any surface imperfections or scratches. Of course RTV is never going to seal a gap that is several thousandths wide due to a warped manifold or head.

Having said the above, I have a set of GSCA manifolds sitting in my garage, and when I get around to installing them, I will probably use the Remflex gaskets that came with them.

Your mileage may vary, past performance does not guarantee future performance, etc.

:)

Mike

coach said:
Hey Mark,
Do those fit the race ported Champions? My exhaust ports are huge on my new heads. I need a set if they fit. I'll be in touch

Coach

Coach,

According to the REFLEX manufacture, the gaskets can be cut. Worth a try, cause these gaskets seal a 1000% better than the felpro do

Thanks to both of you. I'll measure the ports and get back to you Mark.

Mike, No offense... But RTV will not hold. The temp coming from the ports and that pressure from the exhaust will just blow out.

Boy I hope no one tells my car this...I have used ultra copper on my atr's for years with enough heat and pressure that I split the passenger side manifold at Norwalk but the rtv was still sealed up tight when I took it off.

Boy I hope no one tells my car this...I have used ultra copper on my atr's for years with enough heat and pressure that I split the passenger side manifold at Norwalk but the rtv was still sealed up tight when I took it off.

He's still learning. ;)

Header gaskets don't last. They will blow. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Hey can someone help me with picking the gaskets I'm going to need? I'm fairly new to all this and I'm going with the reflex gaskets but when I visited the site I noticed there were a couple to choose from my understanding. I have I turbo that was converted to. 4.1 but was told from the original owners that it had the stock headers installed from the 3.8 so my question is which gaskets would I need to get?
Thanks, ( by the way I need the passenger and driver side)
Eduardo

I have never ran gaskets on mine and never had leaks at the flanges. Usually the headers would crack before those flanges would leak. I have found gaskets will cause the flange to warp. I belt sand the flanges to make sure they are flat. .....just the way GM/Buick intended.

tried it all, blew out all the gaskets. One failure was from a header bolt that came loose though. I also had ~45 psi pressure in the headers at the time, which may not be typical.

No magic bullet, everything can work, but best experience has been with copper RTV and no gasket.