Every car has something . . . . . that drives you nuts!

PS window not wanting to go all the way up in the proper position while driving...and..."that's a nice Monte/Cutlass you've got there."

Who needs cupholders? 20 oz bottles sit fine right between the seat track and the console and stay mostly out of the sun.

It's a good thing these cars have awesome engines, because the rest of the car sucks!

........... It's a good thing these cars have awesome engines, because the rest of the car sucks!
Thats funny but so true!
I always thought a Bustang was the way to go.
Plenty of after market parts available, and a very refined car.

For me it would be the odd intermittent problem/ or the completely unrelated compound issue problem.
It starts with a low or flat tire.-It always does...
One time I fill the tire and car won't start even though it started the week before and ran fine... Pull the starter, test it, it's fine re-install, no work... (eventually fixed)
One time I filled the tires and discovered that the valve stems were bad. Pulled them off, repaired and car wouldn't start. (fixed again)
One time I filled the tire, and the antenna stopped working, even though it had worked the last time I tried it. Fixed the antenna and seat belt acted up... (fixed everything)!
One time at bandcamp....
I must have the same brand of tires.:D

great thread.
On the GN I have to replace my ECM harness when I go around hard turns the car cuts off for a moment or if I hit a hard bump the car can stall out. I had to replace the ECM cause of rusty pins Damn T-Tops. Body bushings!!!!
On the WE4 The digital fuel gauge is not reading correctly so I just have to make sure I have a full tank when I go for a ride. This year winter project.

i had the "rusty pins on the ecm" problem on my car.. it was caused by the heater box being full of crud and the drain being plugged.. once i cleaned it out with a long screwdriver from the engine side to loosen everything up and the garden hose from the top to wash it out, the water no longer overflows onto the top of the ecm.
the bright side of it for me was that it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the 86/87 ecm and a turbotweak chip...

In the last two weeks I've managed to break something new while fixing something old. I think that's more my problem than the car. I cracked the big nut on the A/C drier right after refilling it with 134, but it's not leaking. Then I leaned on it while replacing a leaky heater core and it sprayed fine mist of 134 with leak detector all over my engine. Then I was jumping A/C switches to find out why my compressor wasn't coming on (I didn't plug in the wire nearest the clutch) and fried part of my ECM.

However, it's sitting out in the parking lot right now because I wanted to drive it. I'm about to drive it home, with no A/C in Texas.

When you get ready to redo the AC give me a call Don. You can bring it down and use my equipment if you want.;)

Let's not forget about that swinging right side visor. One day I'll get the repair/stud kit. But then again the whole thing needs to be reupholstered. I'd have to know it will be redone perfectly before I trust someone to redo it.

So,I just keep pushing it back into place.

Let's not forget about that swinging right side visor. One day I'll get the repair/stud kit. But then again the whole thing needs to be reupholstered. I'd have to know it will be redone perfectly before I trust someone to redo it.

So,I just keep pushing it back into place.

When going up a hill if I floored it, the visor used to hit my brother in the face because it would swing back so hard.

At least it came in handy a few times...

My biggest problem with these cars has changed now...Im tired of every single person that looks at or talks about your car is an expert and they always have to tell you what to check because A) you dont know and B) they obviously know because their brothers sisters cousins boyfriend had one. Ive had people tell me the cranks are no good, the turbos cant support or 20 PSI,...this annoys the F*$k outta me!!!

my turn. i thought it was just mine that had this annoying stuff. heres some and how i rectified them
1) noisy lifter only at start up.
2) leaking oil from turbo drain; no wait main; no upper front of intake etc.
3) windows misalign. how many times do you swear you finally have them aligned. and it's always one side is worse.
4) wipers don't return to home
5) the squeeks and rattles---god, give me a gun so i can end this.
6) the know-it-all "hey don't those have twin turbos, oh it's the gnx's"-love that one
i managed to fix nearly all of these by standing on the brake a little and the throttle alot. or by cranking my stereo. btw it is nearly imperative to have a killer stereo in these cars because the drone frome dual 3"s and no cat should be number seven

i put a little sticky cupholder that will adjust for cup size inside of the console glovebox,works great and i dont have to look at it ,just open for use.

Only the chubby chick and not the hot chick at Dunkin Donuts likes my car. :eek::p

Yeah no cupholder in the GN is pissin' me off. :mad:

A dead spare module that was bought good 15 years ago got me mad this week, I do sleep well at night though.

If she don't run I don't have to go to work. ;)

I fabbed up a couple of solutions, but both involve sitting in the console, and unfortunately having to have the console lid open in order to use.

I started out with a tube of Windowwipes placed in the console that left almost exactly enough space for a ..ahem..12 ounce can.
The second solution is a black plastic single cup holder that has a flexible dongle designed to slide in between the window and the window felt.
I modifed it by trimming it down and sitting it in the console area.
Fit pretty well.

The other is a dual cup holder sold by AutoZone, Advance, Peppy Boys, that pretty much takes up the bulk of the console space.
That's for when I have a female passenger.
I keep it behind my seat for those rare occasions.
For hardtail passengers - they need to hold their own.

My next challenge is to modify one of the late model GM console tops that use the sliding console apparatus to modify the console lid making it slide back, thus keeping it out of the way when the cup holders are in use.

View attachment 167121

Cup holder issue resolved for $5.00 at Walmart.

And not a annoyance but an annoyance is the ubiquitous location of the Scanmaster.
I'm going to bite the bullet and downsize the Stereo to Single DIN; (uggghhh) but then try to modify the pocket that comes with the faceplate / radio adaptor to accomadate the Scanmaster (properly)

View attachment 167121

Cup holder issue resolved for $5.00 at Walmart.

I also thought of using that.
But with all the time, money and effort it takes to get a show quality console and lid, I did not want to take the chance of that holder riding on and scuffing up the top of the console.
I suppose that's what a little felt is for though.

-rear main

-unable to go to the parts store or car wash without someone telling how they used to have a Cutlass or Monte Carlo SS "just like that"

-inability to find a 12-step meeting for turbo6 addiction