ESC module????

Red87GN

This may sound kinda funny but here goes? Will a Turbo Buick run without an ESC module? I think mine did albeit not very well. I bought an unfinished 87 GN and I'm still working on it. I have replaced the entire harness under hood and under dash. During this process I can't find the ESC module. It wasn't on the harness that I took off, but the car ran but very rough like it was missing very badly. I didn't work to get the car to run any better because the wiring was so bad. But now I'm wondering if this could have been a very big problem, no ESC module and also looks like no MAP sensor either. The fuel pump relay is there but thats it over on that fender. Whatcha think??? :confused: :confused:
John

The car will run without the ESC, it will set a code, and the ECM signal will stay high causing the ECM to fully retard (20* worth). That could easily account for your shiznitty performance. Here's more on it:

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#43

The MAP sensor is only to run the boost guage, the car will run fine without it.

ESC Module interchange?

Will the ESC modules from other 3.8L Buicks work on all the 3.8L Fuel injected Buicks? The reason I ask is because I found several wrecked Buicks at the local wrecking yard. Most of them are newer(like 88 and 89 LeSabre's)but they have the same looking ESC but it's mounted on the firewall. And Autozone shows a different part# from an 86 Turbo Buick to an 87 Turbo Buick. Does anyone know if they're different?
John:rolleyes:

Anyone????

C'mon guys. Is there anyone that knows the difference between the various ESC modules. I found that the 86 and 87 Turbo buicks have different part #'s for the ESC's 86 is 16051654 and 87 is 16022614. I'm just wondering what is actually different? Don't both 86 and 86 perform the same? Does the ESC count the number of knock signals and then the ECM retardfs the timing as it needs to? What gives? Just call me nosey!!
John:confused: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: