Error code 34- Low MAF signal issues

turbobob924

I have been chasing an error code 34 all weekend.

Translator plus, 3" LT1 MAF

Extender chip with MSD 50's, TE44 turbo at 22lbs.

I have replaced the ECM
Switched MAF's
Even switched out the translator to several stock MAF's with same result.

Checked wiring... The support books I have show that the volts at the MAF plug B should be between 4 and 6 volts. I have only 2.77. the pink/blk volts are in the low 12.x's and the ground wire seems OK.

Is this one of the ways the extender chip or translators adjusts for the max of 255 on the stock MAF??

In my other car with different chip and no translator and either ECM I get 5.2 volts.

In addition to the error code 34, direct scan shows that the MAF signal bounces/ is very erratic at WOT. It can go from 108 to 68 to 112 with same RPM and TPS. I thought it was "noise" and added a relay to the 12 volt signal which corrected nothing. The MAF never get close to 200 at around 22LBS of boost.

HELP!!

I forgot to mention this is on my 87 GN, not the hybrid!

I had less problems getting the hybrid to run right than the fricking mostly stock GN!

can you post the DS file.

It sounds like the MAF wiring has issues. Both the power and ground wires to the MAF have factory splices in the harness and are subject to a lot of corrosion.

Check the ECM harness plug for corrosion as well.

Bob

I bought a replacement ECM connector repair kit from Caspers and soldered and replaced all the connections to the ECM. I still have the same issue.

How do I post the DS file?

I disconnected the battery and the ECM. I traced and tested the B6 wire to the B MAF plug, good connectivity and nothing to ground.

turbobob924, Can you post pics of the plugs on the translator so we can see what color wires are going to what? Thinking you may be configured wrong.

Hey just sell me that thing and you won't have to worry about it anymore Bob-O.

See you before too long....

Rick,

These issues happen without the translator connected!

Besides, I have checked the connections, the pink is aligned with the pink.

How do I post the DS file?

zip it and use the "manage attachments" button below the posting edit box to select then upload the file.

If you replaced the pigtails, you must have suspected corrosion. Is there corrosion in the ECM connector (or perhaps a missing pin?)

Bob

That really sucks. No luck attaching DS file to a post? Wish you were a little closer, I'd come help but crystal lake is a cruise for me.

The DS is an old computer with no floppy to even get at the files!

I will run some turbolink readings and post one.

Thanks for any help guys. I used to think I knew what I was doing, this is a major wake up call!

I had the same issue,

it was an issue with an ecm connection and the signal was dropping out.,

now that your code is gone, reset the ecm, ensure all dip switches are on, and all dials are at 0

another problem I found on a customers car was a Direct scan cable causing "Noise" in the ecm and causing malfunctions. disconnect that and try.

your next step would be contacting Bob Baily or posting on fullthrottle's support forum

Good luck

I had the same issue,

it was an issue with an ecm connection and the signal was dropping out.,

now that your code is gone, reset the ecm, ensure all dip switches are on, and all dials are at 0

another problem I found on a customers car was a Direct scan cable causing "Noise" in the ecm and causing malfunctions. disconnect that and try.

your next step would be contacting Bob Baily or posting on fullthrottle's support forum

Good luck

with a 3" MAF the base dial should be set to 3

Mode switches On On Off Off.

all other dials at 0

The chip number is BSL57C0F.

I even tried to eliminate the translator and put the stock MAF back in.

Now it gets better. I went for a test drive and it stalled out so many times I had to have it towed back to my place less than 3 miles away!

It would not even work in limp mode with the chip out.

As I'm sitting ther waiting for the tow, I used turbolink not direct scan. I thought now the TPS was screwed up or something. Now with the key on and engine off the MAF sensor goes up in tandem with the TPS!!!!??? WTF???

At WOT 4.62 TPS the MAF goes to 255. THE damn engine is not even running!!

This has to be some of the screwiest stuff I have ever seen.

I am going to pull the engine harness and go thru all the wires.
I had tested for shorts before but somehow there has to be a short here!!??