Error code 22 freom Actron CP9110

K

kenn

The "Service Engine Soon" light came on after I put a 160 degree thermometer in. I rented an Actron ScanTool from Murrarys Disc Auto and am getting 2 error codes. The first reads:
Code 22 Fuel Relay Cut-Off Circuit Open or Shorted to Ground.
The 2nd reads: Code 23 Manifold Air Temp (MAT) Sensor Signal Open Circuit.

Where is the Fuel Relay circuit and what would cause it to be open or shorted to ground?

Where is the MAT and what would cause it to be in open circuit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Ummm, something wrong with that scanner's interpretation of info.

Code 22 is for TPS(throttle position sensor) Low.

Did you leave it unplugged after your work?

Code23 is the MAT (manifold temp sensor)

Did you leave it unplugged after your work?

Eloquently put, Dave

Originally posted by TurboDave
Ummm, something wrong with that scanner's interpretation of info.

I wish I had half of Dave's knowlege and half of his wellspokeness. (see what I mean)

Kenn you've contacted me on e-mail and I've asked you to bring it back here so we can have the benifit of the group with their several hundred years experience watching over us. When we get this problem licked you will (hopefully) be posting your final assesment as to what fixed it. This will help any archive searchers that come along later.

Now, Dave said what I was thinking. Any scan tool that refers you to a Fuel Relay Cut-Off Circuit should be set aside for the moment. I don't believe there's any such component on our cars. I would verify the malfunction codes using the paper clip method detailed here

www.gnttype.org/maint/malf

One thing I've noticed looking at the service manual schematic is that the TPS (code 22) and the MAT sensor (code 23) are spliced together (s666 for those of you playing at home) and go back to the ECM to the same point (d12) via the same wire (452). A problem one this one wire going to the ECM could affect both components.

If you can unplug and replug the sensor connections as Dave has suggested, then verify codes using paper clip (remember--you'll be seeing codes stored from the last time the ECM feed wire was powered down even if you've fixed the problem), then get back to this board. HTH's

The Scan Tool I am using is an Actron II, Model CP9110. Their web site is www.actron.com, but it's not much help. I am setting the scan for New Car, 1987,Buick,Regal, 3.8 SFI Turbo.

An additional note is that after I start the car and start driving, the CES light goes OFF at about 35 mph, UNTIL I start to slow down to about 25mph. It then comes back on and stays on while at a stop/idle. Then the off/on process repeats when I start off /stop again. IT STAYS OFF as long as I am rolling down the road. This would SEEM to indicate that, indeed, the position of the TPS is having some effect. I checked the grey / black wire, volatage ignition on and it equals 5.05v. I am not sure how about how to get the probes in to check low voltage.

The Error code 23 was relayed to the Air Temp Sensor that screws into the original air filter housing. Because the guy that previously owned the car put a K&N filter on, that sensor was handing in the air. When I shorted it to ground, cleared the codes by disconnecting the neg term for > 30 secs, it no longer appeared. I am still getting the Error code 22, however.

Can this TPS error code occur 1) Because the TPS is misadjusted or 2) because it's bad or 3) both?

How do I check low voltage?

Checking the grey wire to the black wire will give you your TPS reference voltage that the PCM supplies to the TPS. What you want to check is the dark blue wire referenced to the black(gnd) wire(or any good ground for that matter). This will give you your actual TPS voltage going back to the PCM.

It should read something like .40-.44 while at idle, and 4.50+ at WOT. These measurements are easiest with key on-engine off obviously ;)

What would cause your TPS voltage to drop intermitently from .44 to .04 for no reason?? Obviously this throws code 22.....but after a few seconds it goes right back up to .44 on the Scanmaster......I checked the wires, all are in place, good condition, etc. TPS is brand new too.

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
What would cause your TPS voltage to drop intermitently from .44 to .04 for no reason?? Obviously this throws code 22.....but after a few seconds it goes right back up to .44 on the Scanmaster......I checked the wires, all are in place, good condition, etc. TPS is brand new too.

Without being there to actually do some continuity checks on the wiring, My first guess would have to be an intermittent connection.
Either at the TPS connector (female pins expanded just a touch too much), or at the PCM connector.

I finally gave up my reluctance to touch the TPS and just unscrewed the 2 adjusment screws on the side. I tipped the TPS upward about 1/8" and guess what? The CES light went off. The idle also went down though, so I turned that adjustment screw on the driver's side up a turn or turn and a halve and everything seems to be normal.

Thanks for the input and the ScanTool error message sure appears to have been in left field.

Kenn