Engine swap

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I will probably swap a 455 in my car soon because my turbo 6 needs a complete rebuild. My car has damn near 610000 miles on it (or Im reading it wrong if so DAAAAMMM:eek:) and I saw a few 455 engines. I found a 455 out of a 1973 riviera for 1600 that was basically a turn key, and another that needed the heads redone for 550. Some tell me that if I do this, ill NOT like the carb turbo setup. But I love the sound and low end power it offer. After reading adams thread, I think that I can do a twin turbo setup using some of the IC parts.

eeeeeehhh what do you think? :smile:

If your really serious about this......

I think you should just buy a SBC and drop it in a camaro.

if working on the V6 is too much for you then a 455 isnt going to be easier.

I know what your going through.... you need results. I was once like that at that age.... (like 2 weeks ago) and your on a path of wasted time and money.

you need to decide on what you really want, to be cruzin now in a average par "cool" car, or you can have some determination and not give up and have a bomb ass lowered regal with a fat turbo to boot..... bumping some Zap and Rodger while 3 bit ches have a hand in yo lap..... Ya dig what im laying down?

use the money to buy a beater...... one that gets you from point "A" to point "B". just for school, work, parts, beer, rolling papers and chicks. I mean, I have one.... a crappy ass FORD (yea i know) taurus.... or cleo as I like to call her ( my cleo-taurus) and i drive it to work everyday.... yea it cost me 1500 (and another 2500 after it **** its crank out) to buy and was a decent car.... no heat or AC... but enough. and now I can tear apart my truck and not worry about needing it to be someplace at 7am monday morning.

I dunno, thats what I think.... and its what I live by now.... patience is the key.... nobody just starts being bad ass..... you have to earn it.

:cool:A.j.

If your really serious about this......

I think you should just buy a SBC and drop it in a camaro.

if working on the V6 is too much for you then a 455 isnt going to be easier.

I know what your going through.... you need results. I was once like that at that age.... (like 2 weeks ago) and your on a path of wasted time and money.

you need to decide on what you really want, to be cruzin now in a average par "cool" car, or you can have some determination and not give up and have a bomb ass lowered regal with a fat turbo to boot..... bumping some Zap and Rodger while 3 bit ches have a hand in yo lap..... Ya dig what im laying down?

use the money to buy a beater...... one that gets you from point "A" to point "B". just for school, work, parts, beer, rolling papers and chicks. I mean, I have one.... a crappy ass FORD (yea i know) taurus.... or cleo as I like to call her ( my cleo-taurus) and i drive it to work everyday.... yea it cost me 1500 (and another 2500 after it **** its crank out) to buy and was a decent car.... no heat or AC... but enough. and now I can tear apart my truck and not worry about needing it to be someplace at 7am monday morning.

I dunno, thats what I think.... and its what I live by now.... patience is the key.... nobody just starts being bad ass..... you have to earn it.

:cool:A.j.

wtf, um okay. Ive always thought that a big old fashioned v8 is easier to work on. In my class im working on a 67 mustang with a 200 straigth 6 and let me tell you, I know that is the easiest engine to work on. seen an old lincoln behind our shop with a 460 in it, crappy engine, but easy to work on. My car seems to be a bit more difficult to work on, but I like the car. As for the bit ches... Hell no I dont let them in my car no more because they disrespect it (plus it broke down on me one time but thats another story) and dont realize that they are NOT walking.
I want a beater which is why I mentioned the corvair and the diesel cutlass. Im a big MOFO and a crappy 4 banger aint gonna cut it. I need a bigger vehicle to fit in IE the regal, old truck, impala, lesabre, ect.

wow. can you do the swap? i think you have to cut the frame to get it to fit but i dont know. i dont think $1600 is a good price unless it was rebuilt. i bought my buick 455 motor for $400 a few years ago from a buddy. for you i would say rebuild that 231 or do like aj said put a small block chevy in.

A 455 will not need a turbo to get you there. It has enough torque to spin the tires just like it is. You have to buy special mounts for it first. The ones on the engine are fine but you need the right frame pads to make it work. TA performance has them or you can get them off evilbay. It's not a difficult swap but you'll need a special pan to do it. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is get an SBC and drop it in until you get the 3.8 rebuilt.

Get another V6, like a 4.1 (or any 3.8 2bbl long block) and put it in there. That has to be a whole lot easier then switching to a V8.

I doubt you have 610,000 on the car.

is all you need a v6 core? all of those you listed look like they will need a rebuild soon.........

I can get you a V6 core in tacoma....

A.j.

I just want a temporary motor while the v6 gets rebuilt. I know that a 455 or a sbc will be the easiest to install.

NA V6. Fun, no. Cool, no. Cheep, yes. Easy, Yes. That way you have parts like bolts if you need them and it will bolt right in. Stay with a buick. My car was origionally a NA V6 car, wiring was improperly switched for the 455, had to fix it. Still not great. Its WAY more expensive than you think to put in a motor. All the little stuff like rad hoses, and wires really add up! Took at LEAST $250 to correctly install my motor.

Either keep what you got or buy a beater. You cant drive a car and swap engines at the same time. Theres always that one part you need that you cant get today and need to special order it. It turns into a month long project fast. Go with a NA V6, but preferably a beater.

I just want a temporary motor while the v6 gets rebuilt. I know that a 455 or a sbc will be the easiest to install.

No way could a 455 be easier to install than another V6.

By the time you have the 455 figured out, you could have the current V6 pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled.

Why bother rebuilding the current V6? Get a 4.1 now, put that in and be doen with it.

If I remember correctly you must change mounts and have to find a set of exhaust manifolds that turn down at the very end some of the Ho cars had them. and if you hook it to the 400 it came with u must make your own cross member and drive shaft.......:rolleyes:

Save yourself alot of money and grief and take the best advice given. If you want to fix up the T-Type, get a beater and do the Buick right. It obviously needs alot of maintenance that cannot be done while driving it. Don't waste time, effort and money pulling 1st engine, installing 2nd engine, rebuilding 1st engine, pulling 2nd engine, reinstalling 1st engine. And definitely don't change the setup if you intend to go back to the V6.

wow......... theres an awful lot of intercooled kids in here.......

what brings ya guys on down to the barrio? its dangerous around here!

A.j

you can't even get your carb turbo right and you think you're gonna drop ina 455 with twin turbos? Like AJ said, buy a camaro, sell the regal

you can't even get your carb turbo right and you think you're gonna drop ina 455 with twin turbos? Like AJ said, buy a camaro, sell the regal

hold on...hold on...hold on I never said I would do a twin turbo 455? I saw what Adam did to his v6 and though that I could DO that, but use parts from an IC car to do a twin turbo setup..... WAAAAY down the road.

for how much?

I can get a core from my buddy lunch box for roughly 100 bucks. or I bet I could get you a free one if you feel like driving all the way to Whidbey Island, and into Oak Harbor. I know where a buddy has some cores hidden in a small shed behind his house.

A.j.