engine stuttering above 12 PSI

deadlois

It runs fine unless I floor it hard and when it hits about 12-13 PSI it starts to stutter, kind of like it hits a limiter or something. I checked the fuel pressure and it has 43 PSI at idle with vac off. I dont have windshield mounted gauge, so I only can verify it goes up about 5 psi FP @ 5 PSI boost ( Doing that at a standstill) so I am not sure if at 12-13, it stops sending enough fuel. I am ordering a guage to mount on the windshield so I can monitor this, but I wanted to know what other possibilities I can check for? Thanks.

deadlois said:
It runs fine unless I floor it hard and when it hits about 12-13 PSI it starts to stutter, kind of like it hits a limiter or something. I checked the fuel pressure and it has 43 PSI at idle with vac off. I dont have windshield mounted gauge, so I only can verify it goes up about 5 psi FP @ 5 PSI boost ( Doing that at a standstill) so I am not sure if at 12-13, it stops sending enough fuel. I am ordering a guage to mount on the windshield so I can monitor this, but I wanted to know what other possibilities I can check for? Thanks.

I take it this is the 84 with the blown HG as described in your sig? What plugs are you running and what it the gap at? Do you have a scan tool to verify the MAF and O2 readings? Clean fuel and air filter?

Did you replace air your headgaskets recently? Do you have your vacuum lines ran correctly? For the stock wastegate solenoid? I had what you are describing kind of and the solenoid was hooked up wrong. It was hitting the right amount of boost, but would make a surge feeling/sound every second or so. Not sure if that is your prob. -Nick.

Actually this is an 85 I bought off a guy and he had it sitting for a year and some change. So far I just changed the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, oil change, had to change the internal rubber hose from the fuel pump to the inside of the tank. FYI the fuel pump is an aftermarket high output one, but I am not sure which brand. I have been through couple tanks of gas, and even threw in some seafoam. I am getting the right TPS voltages. And no I do not have a scan tool for my hotairs yet.

It is running a lot better than when I first got it, it just still has that stutter/surging at about 12 psi. It will run smooth and quick if I keep the boost at 10, but that is all I can take it up to before these problems arise. I currently have the fuel pressure at idle at about 44-45 psi, but I cant see what it does after 10 psi as per my previous explanation. It has some aftermarket chip in it, and according to the guy when he was driving it it was fast as hell.

I will probaly do the tranny filter change and rearend this weekend. The only thing I can think is increase fuel pressure or put a new pump in or check the injectors and possibly try a different chip. But I will wait for the fuel pressure gauge mounted on my windshield to see what it is actually doing. Thanks guys, and keep the suggestions coming.

hey before you start goin crazy what plugs and wires did you install? what gap was the plugs at?? i had a similar problem with mine when i tryed champions in my car but it happened at 14 # boost. anything coming out the exhaust

Anthony

hey before you start goin crazy what plugs and wires did you install? what gap was the plugs at?? i had a similar problem with mine when i tryed champions in my car but it happened at 14 # boost. anything coming out the exhaust

Anthony

Like what? Smoke? water?

Yes smoke or water possibly but i dont think its anything that serious but u never know with turbo buicks !!! well just have to see what happens when the person who posted this thread answers but i have had this happen to me before cleared right up after new ngk ur5 plugs.

Anthony