Engine Crankcase Capacity w/ Block Girdle

Spooling

I would like to hear the consensus concerning how much engine oil I should install in a Buick V-6 which has an RJC Engine Girdle fitted to a 109 Block?

I am using a stock-sized oil pan with a big Oil Filter (AC - PF24). I have also adapted an external oil cooler - bypassing the OEM one in the radiator.

I believe capacity would be ~ 6 to 6.5 quarts - where the dip stick would display a reading that was "happy" - without that 3/4" thick plate (block girdle) bolted to the bottom of the block.

Yet with the 3/4" Plate bolted to the bottom of the block - think I should add an extra quart and attempt to obtain a "happy" dip stick reading - or not?

Would like to hear the consensus on this - please.

I understand that if using a flat tappet camshaft - that adding extra engine oil so the level reaches the crankshaft "throws" is probably important - as flat tappet camshafts receive their lubrication to the lobes by "internal splash" - yet this engine has a billett hydraulic roller camshaft.

I also have the oil pick-up tube extender installed.

Many Thanks !!!

I would like to hear the consensus concerning how much engine oil I should install in a Buick V-6 which has an RJC Engine Girdle fitted to a 109 Block?

I am using a stock-sized oil pan with a big Oil Filter (AC - PF24). I have also adapted an external oil cooler - bypassing the OEM one in the radiator.

I believe capacity would be ~ 6 to 6.5 quarts - where the dip stick would display a reading that was "happy" - without that 3/4" thick plate (block girdle) bolted to the bottom of the block.

Yet with the 3/4" Plate bolted to the bottom of the block - think I should add an extra quart and attempt to obtain a "happy" dip stick reading - or not?

Would like to hear the consensus on this - please.

I understand that if using a flat tappet camshaft - that adding extra engine oil so the level reaches the crankshaft "throws" is probably important - as flat tappet camshafts receive their lubrication to the lobes by "internal splash" - yet this engine has a billett hydraulic roller camshaft.

I also have the oil pick-up tube extender installed.

Many Thanks !!!
I have always filled the pan until the oil shows on the bottem end of the hash marks on the stock dipstick. My engine takes about 6 1/2 quarts. I run the pte turbo saver wirh a big filter as well. I have put quite a few hard miles on this engine without issues

I have always filled the pan until the oil shows on the bottem end of the hash marks on the stock dipstick. My engine takes about 6 1/2 quarts. I run the pte turbo saver wirh a big filter as well. I have put quite a few hard miles on this engine without issues
--------------
Excellent - Many Thanks...

BTW - when did a quart of oil overtake 5 dollars? I paid ~ $5.50 for Pennzoil Mineral Oil today.

HS Man - I just can't imagine...

I remember when it was like $1.29/Qt

if you have a girdle the capacity is the same before the girdle , just mark the dipstick about 3/4" down from the full mark..that's its new happy place

and you never want the crank splashing in the oil in the pan

The dipstick and crank are in the same relationship whether there is a girdle or not and the difference is the pan is lower by the thickness of the girdle. I fill to the full mark and take advantage of the added oil capacity.

Mike

The dipstick and crank are in the same relationship whether there is a girdle or not and the difference is the pan is lower by the thickness of the girdle. I fill to the full mark and take advantage of the added oil capacity.

Mike

I agree. I'm running a girdle as well. I reasoned it this way... If you put the same amount of oil in the pan as if you did NOT have a girdle, you've lowered the oil level in the pan. However the oil pickup screen is still the same depth as well as the dipstick but the oil sits 3/4" lower since the pan is lower. So you would essentially not be running enough oil in the pan. That being said (I've never had this happen but I believe I read where this happened to Meanchicken), if you had a hard launch at the track (or traffic light:D ) the oil would naturally move to the back of the pan. If the oil was too low, wouldn't you risk the oil pump sucking up air and then you'd lose the prime on your oil pump? I run my oil to just over the full mark on my dipstick.

I agree. I'm running a girdle as well. I reasoned it this way... If you put the same amount of oil in the pan as if you did NOT have a girdle, you've lowered the oil level in the pan. However the oil pickup screen is still the same depth as well as the dipstick but the oil sits 3/4" lower since the pan is lower. So you would essentially not be running enough oil in the pan. That being said (I've never had this happen but I believe I read where this happened to Meanchicken), if you had a hard launch at the track (or traffic light:D ) the oil would naturally move to the back of the pan. If the oil was too low, wouldn't you risk the oil pump sucking up air and then you'd lose the prime on your oil pump? I run my oil to just over the full mark on my dipstick.
Don't forget that the oil pump pick-up spacer lowers the pick up down into the pan to make up for the girdle thickness

The pan baffles help keep the oil from climbing up rear of the crankcase.

Mike

if you have a girdle the capacity is the same before the girdle , just mark the dipstick about 3/4" down from the full mark..that's its new happy place

and you never want the crank splashing in the oil in the pan

I'm still trying to figure this out as well. I get conflicting ideas from the different threads, so I'll ask here. As far as the oil pickup's concerned, there has been no change-but that level is still 3/4 inch lower than where it was, in relation to the crank shaft. So question 1 would be from the factory, am I assuming that the full oil level sat right benath the crank then? If it did, shouldn't it still, even with a girdle on? I also have a big oil filter adapter. What's the quart difference in that versus the factory stock model? Half quart? 3/4 quart? Can someone get me the inside measurements of the girdle, that way we can figure out exactly how much more oil can go into the crank case?

You guys are over-thinking this and going down the wrong rabbit hole. It wouldn't be displaced area of the girdle anyway, it'd be the wet area in the pan at the waterline. Although it's much easier to use the ''fill it till it's full'' method instead of trying to make a 3D model of the inside of the pan and compute area.

Yes, the girdle lowers the bottom of the pan (and pickup) away from the crank. If you use the same amount of oil with a lower level you'll be lowering the oil away from the oil pump 3/4" too. There's no reason to increase the distance the oil has to be drawn upwards if you don't have to.

Since you NEVER want the crank smacking the oil and our cars don't have windage problems there's no reason to run a lower oil level (relative to the block). UNLESS you have WOT aeration issues.

If this was a BBC jetboat engine with a Milodon pan, I'd say the opposite as they have a track record for killing oil pressure at upper RPMs.

You guys are over-thinking this and going down the wrong rabbit hole. It wouldn't be displaced area of the girdle anyway, it'd be the wet area in the pan at the waterline. Although it's much easier to use the ''fill it till it's full'' method instead of trying to make a 3D model of the inside of the pan and compute area.

Yes, the girdle lowers the bottom of the pan (and pickup) away from the crank. If you use the same amount of oil with a lower level you'll be lowering the oil away from the oil pump 3/4" too. There's no reason to increase the distance the oil has to be drawn upwards if you don't have to.

Since you NEVER want the crank smacking the oil and our cars don't have windage problems there's no reason to run a lower oil level (relative to the block). UNLESS you have WOT aeration issues.

If this was a BBC jetboat engine with a Milodon pan, I'd say the opposite as they have a track record for killing oil pressure at upper RPMs.

Isn't that phrase saying opposite things? I agree lol. I don't want to run a lower level of oil. I want more. Isn't more oil better for filtering and cooling as well? I also have a big oil filter so I just want to know exactly how much oil to put in this car.

Last edited:
It's more oil by volume at the factory oil level since the bottom of the pan is moved down.

You can move the pan down a foot and still want the oil to read the same place on the dipstick. As long as the crank isn't whipping air into the oil there's no reason to lower the waterline.

Extra oil won't aid in cooling. It just slows down the temp change (both up and down) due to acting like a thermal battery.