Engine break in controversy

I've heard several old timers at the track say after cam break-in don't baby it. The method he uses does make some sense. He's gratually getting on it no just killing it cold.

I've heard several old timers at the track say after cam break-in don't baby it. The method he uses does make some sense. He's gratually getting on it no just killing it cold.

Heard the same thing from some old school racers. :cool:

They swear it will make a faster car.....

Im about to break in a completely new engine internally. I was told by the guy helping to bring the car up to 55 mph then back down and so on......basically the same idea as that article right?

Before putting too much weight on what a Net Expert says, talk to you machinist, if your having an engine built.
While he talks about 300 engines, that's hardly a days work for some of the Detroit plants. With the EPA mandate now stretched to 100K miles, I'd tend to believe they have taken the time to figure things out for what makes for a good long term engine life.

Like so many articles there is some truth in what he says, but some of it is mere opinion.

My machine shop (in biz for 40 years) said if you are using a flat tappet cam to bring it up to 2,000rpm immediately and then cycle it up and down to 3,000rpm repeatedly for 20-30 minutes for proper cam break in. Crank splash lubes the cam.

Immediately thereafter they said to take the car out and make boost controlling the level with your foot (around 10psi). Don't go WOT but 1/2-3/4 throttle accelerating and not taking the engine over 4,000 or so. They said to do this 10 times or so. They said when you make boost those rings will seal very quickly. In addition they did mention that downshifting during decelleration can be a good idea to lube the top end as well but that was after I brought it up. Change oil after doing this.

Then they said take it easy on the motor for 500 miles and don't rev it over 4500rpm or so and don't take long sustained RPM trips.

This has worked for me.

-GNX7