Engine assembly tips

Channeled

I've been reading through the posts for the last year or so and have a good idea on what to look for when assembling these motors. I've put together Chevrolet motors before so I have a decent idea what to pay attention too, but everyone keeps saying these are special. Does anyone on here have any last minute tips before I start putting it together? Things to look for, pay close attention too, techniques? It is a mild build, stock bottom end, balanced, probe pistons, roller cam from Full Throttle, rebuilt stock valve heads with a bowl blend, looking at RJC head gaskets to close it up, ARP head studs.

Was any machining done? Are you checking the tolerances?

I like to have the short blocks built by the shop who did the machining. I put it together from there. The main thing is sealing the head studs in the block. They go into water jackets. I use blue loctite gel. Run the studs in and out twice applying a little more loctite each time. You don't want those to leak. Use black rtv on all other bolts. Specially oil pan and front cover. These motors love to leak. ;)

There is a sticky in the engine tech about installing head gaskets with head studs. Check that out too.

RL

Clean the heads (HG side) and deck and head bolt/stud threads with Electrical motor cleaner/contact cleaner vs. brake cleaner. The electric is going to dry with no residue.

I prefer to use permatex #2 on teh head studs as it stays pliable and is designed for sealing threaded applications.

Was any machining done? Are you checking the tolerances?

I like to have the short blocks built by the shop who did the machining. I put it together from there. The main thing is sealing the head studs in the block. They go into water jackets. I use blue loctite gel. Run the studs in and out twice applying a little more loctite each time. You don't want those to leak. Use black rtv on all other bolts. Specially oil pan and front cover. These motors love to leak. ;)

There is a sticky in the engine tech about installing head gaskets with head studs. Check that out too.

RL

Sounds good. I did have machining done. It was bored and the head surface was checked but didn't require anything.