emissions advice - modified T

rkreigh

I know there is a emssions forum, but it doesn't look like it gets much activity:D

I have a T with 72 lb injectors, MAF translator, and 206 roller cam.

need some advice if there is ANY way to get this through VA emissions.

my HC are way high against the 77 standard

some thoughts I had were buying the stock injectors, and an emissions chip

I do have a high flow cat, and could play with the MAF translator settings

so a few questions, is it even possible to get the car to run clean with the 72 lb injectors??

I tried mixing up some alchohol to lean it out some but the HC was way high!!

anybody got some good stock injectors and chip they can sell cheap or loan??

is it worth trying to change the MAF translator settings and possible to pass with 72 lb injectors??

thanks for any advice!

What chip is in the car now?

Is the EGR still on the car?

If so do you have a 72lb. chip that will pulse it?

has a bob bailey translator Plus, has egr, the ecm and chip cut for 72 lb injectors

blms look good. the first time I tried to pass I mixed up quite a bit of alchy in the gas, probably too much. I have one free try left.

wasn't sure if the big injectors would even have a shot at passing

looking to buy some stock injectors, and chip, I may still have a stock maf lying around, or buy a maf translator chip for stock injectors (if they exist!!)

anyone have a stock maf, injectors and chip they can loan me or sell???

any tips on passing with 72 lb injectors with the extreme + bob bailey chip

here's what I'm going to try

reduce pressure at regulator
unhook the rod to run with no boost
maybe a bit of alchy in the gas

I do have a cat (*high flow, a few years old*)

the chip can also run closed loop idle, or open loop, idles smoother open loop but I better stick to closed loop for the test

I think my EGR is working OK

change oil

if all else fails, I'll go back to the stock injectors and chip. the stock chip will work ok with the translator plus won't it?

I might have a good stock maf laying around, but don't want to hassle with it if I don't have to

thanks for any advice!

The EGR can be in place, but not commanded by the chip.

You need an emission chip. These cars can pass with 72's.

Make sure your cat is good. Borrow a newer one if necessary. Run 2 bottles of HEET in a 1/2 tank of gas. Lean out your translator some, both idle and WOT - the HEET will reduce any NOx. Change your oil. Fresh plugs. Make sure it's good and hot.

I know a guy who passes CA smog with 96 lb injectors. You should be able to pass with 72s.

thanks for the tips, not sure if this chip works the egr, done the tune up and will try once more with the 72s (I have one free test)

VA emissions standard for HC was 77. the first time I tried I was running a BUNCH of alchy in the gas (too much) and the car was running rough and probably just not burning the alchy

ran 377 on HC. this time I'll do as suggested and see how it works

I scored a stock set of injectors and chip just in case

can the stock chip work just fine in an ecm modified for the 72s (driver change) and work ok with the translator plus

I think so but just want to check. thanks for all the help.

Extender chips do not use the EGR. You'd be much better off getting a smog chip burned. Best alternative is for someone to do a stock image modded for your injectors.

does bob bailey do emission chips (betting he does)

I've been out of the buick hobby for a long time (playing with turbo vettes)

I do have some stock injectors and a stock chip coming, that wouldn't be too hard to put in but swapping a chip is a whole lot easier!

I'm very interesed in the new extender pro. I'll do some searches, looks really good.

does bob still work with mike licht??

Too much alky could cause a lean misfire. Get a normal type 10% of alky to gas mixture before reducing the fuel pressure down.

Agreed that the catalytic converter could be bad.

De-carbonizing the combustion chambers will help reduce HC & NOx, but it sounds like they don't test for NOx there.

does bob bailey do emission chips (betting he does)

I've been out of the buick hobby for a long time (playing with turbo vettes)

I do have some stock injectors and a stock chip coming, that wouldn't be too hard to put in but swapping a chip is a whole lot easier!

I'm very interesed in the new extender pro. I'll do some searches, looks really good.

does bob still work with mike licht??

1. I don't know if Bob makes smog chips or not. I used to when I had my chip burning equipment. They're really easy.
2. Welcome back.
3. Extender Pro is designed to work only with the Translator Pro.
4. Yes, Bob sitll works with Mike.

I got a stock set of injectors and chip very reasoanble

so can't just install the stock chip and still have the maf translator plus work?

I know I won't have the in the chip extender functions, but it should at least get me through emssions.

let me know if the stock chip and maf translator are incompatible

if so where can a get a 72 lb emissions chip done? that would be even easier if it would pass with the injectors that big

Yes the stock chip (any chip) can work with the translator/translator + for your purposes.
Just wont have the "extender" funcionality.

well I'm pretty well set, I'm going to swap back to the stock injectors and chip, and have a go at it.

should be OK, the cat is relatively fresh, plugs, wires, coil pack, too

I'll put in some new oil, disconnect the boost, and give it a go!

well I'm pretty well set, I'm going to swap back to the stock injectors and chip, and have a go at it.

should be OK, the cat is relatively fresh, plugs, wires, coil pack, too

I'll put in some new oil, disconnect the boost, and give it a go!

You shouldn't have to disconnect the boost. :confused: I don't know of any place that loads the car enough to get into boost. The purpose of the better check stations is to load the car similar to that of a normal highway cruise load